Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-04T19:01:13+00:00

    Can't believe no one in windows acknowledged this...
    More than a year and the problem persists.

    Did anyone find a fix? Too many things sorted to roll back to windows 10 sadly

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-07T22:07:53+00:00

    I have the same problem. Bought a new hi-spec Asus Windows 11 machine and copying files from external HD to SSD. Windows 10 on the old machi does it in a blink of the eye. new machine is slower than molasses in January. The difference is gargantuan. FastCopy no better Sync Back estimates 2 days g hours! How can Microsoft continue to ignore this problem???

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments