Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-07T15:35:32+00:00

    I assume O365 is not installed?

    Do you have a third party AV installed as there should be no problem in win normal boot

    I copies 19,000kb an hour ago and it took some seconds, something on your system is causing this

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-07T19:08:15+00:00

    Hi, I'm Elise, a fellow user like yourself and I'd be happy to help with your issue.

    Do you have any antivirus or security software running, as this can often be the cause of slow file transfers.

    Window is also sometimes quite inefficient when copying large volumes of small files, rather than a small volume of large files.

    It is also often quicker to use the robocopy app, you run this from the command line.

    An example of copying from the C: to D: drive using this would be:

    robocopy C:\ D:\ /E /COPYALL

    Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

    Kind Regards,

    Elise

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T13:37:14+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I have gone the Robocopy route. And while it is still very slow, I can actually see what the progress is in terms what's being copied across.

    Thanks again

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-07T13:25:26+00:00

    You shouldnt have to use robocopy. I have been having this issue since windows 10. copying from local to NAS drives

    All 2TB and 4TB SSDs

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-23T00:09:44+00:00

    Don't use Windows (File Explorer): is horribly slow on small files transfer in particular... and MS doesn't seem to care.

    Try tools like DSyncronize

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments