Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-04-12T18:34:20+00:00

    HDD is SATA internal drive.

    SSD is M.2

    I wouldn't expect any performance issue in that case. I would start up in Safe Mode and test the speed. That may help determine next troubleshooting steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-12T18:25:22+00:00

    HDD is SATA internal drive.

    SSD is M.2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-04-12T17:11:57+00:00

    Same issue.

    New computer 12gen i5 CPU 32G Ram.

    Trying to copy files from old 500 G HDD to the new SSD drive.

    Transfer rate is like 1MB/s or even less.

    Anyone have a fix?

    How are the drives connected? Internal? USB?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-12T16:54:12+00:00

    Same issue.

    New computer 12gen i5 CPU 32G Ram.

    Trying to copy files from old 500 G HDD to the new SSD drive.

    Transfer rate is like 1MB/s or even less.

    Anyone have a fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T00:26:30+00:00

    I have a similar issue. I am trying to copy a large PC OneDrive folder (165 GB) to an external hard drive (Windows 11)

    There doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Some folders (also large =< 80 GB) copy to the external hard drive in a reasonable amount of time. The 165 GB folder seems frozen: No advancement shows up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments