Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T10:39:13+00:00

    Win7 is the best OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T08:35:02+00:00

    My ten year old Windows7 laptop copied x10 faster than my new windows11! (both i5)
    The W7 crashed 2 times in ten years and run five apps and 15tabs simultaneously! the W11 can barely start without glitching.
    NOT to mention the horendous right click (that needs five more clicks to do what I previously did with one click; same with start button.
    And that monstrous music player :( not animation, no side view of playlist, and hiden soundbar that I have to click... to open... to change volume!!! :(((
    Windows 7 was the pinacle of OS!

    For the question I read somewere that when copying, W11 is ALL the time searching ALL the files, EVERY file(!!!) before copying for avoiding double copying or something... that is why it takes 12minutes for a 10GB folder to copy.

    I repeat, my ten year old W7 did the same in 2minutes or less with not one mistake ever! It was flawless! (WHY change it??)

    And W7 run on HDD!!! when the new W11 runs SSD!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T08:28:27+00:00

    Thank you that is a good way! (which this geezer finds to complicated; I don't understand prompts... when a right click and 'copy' was all that was needed until now)

    Please may we specify that it is not "Window is also sometimes quite inefficient..." (very politely put) ...
    but: " Windows11 is also quite inefficient..." (all the time)

    Windows7 never had that problem! W7 copied to the full efficiency of their hardware. (with never having any error!)

    My ten year old Windows7 laptop copied x10 faster than my new windows11! (both i5)
    The W7 crashed 2 times in ten years and run five apps and 15tabs simultaneously! the W11 can barely start without glitching.
    NOT to mention the horendous right click (that needs five more clicks to do what I previously did with one click; same with start button.
    And that monstrous music player :( no animation, no side view of playlist, and hiden soundbar that I have to click... to open... to change volume!!! :(((
    Windows 7 was the pinacle of OS!

    For the question I read somewere that when copying, W11 is ALL the time searching ALL the files, EVERY file(!!!) before copying for avoiding double copying or something... that is why it takes 12minutes for a 10GB folder to copy.

    I repeat, my ten year old W7 did the same in 2minutes or less with not one mistake ever! It was flawless! (WHY change it??)

    And W7 run on HDD!!! when the new W11 runs SSD!!!

    Kind regards

    PS

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T07:59:18+00:00

    My ten year old Windows7 laptop copied x10 faster than my new windows11! (both i5)
    The W7 crashed 2 times in ten years and run five apps and 15tabs simultaneously! the W11 can barely start without glitching.
    NOT to mention the horendous right click (that needs five more clicks to do what I previously did with one click; same with start button.
    And that monstrous music player :( not animation, no side view of playlist, and hiden soundbar that I have to click... to open... to change volume!!! :(((
    Windows 7 was the pinacle of OS!

    For the question I read somewere that when copying, W11 is ALL the time searching ALL the files, EVERY file(!!!) before copying for avoiding double copying or something... that is why it takes 12minutes for a 10GB folder to copy.

    I repeat, my ten year old W7 did the same in 2minutes or less with not one mistake ever! It was flawless! (WHY change it??)

    And W7 run on HDD!!! when the new W11 runs SSD!!!

    said it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-12T19:45:49+00:00

    Tried Safe Mode. Same behavior. Transfers a few megabytes then pauses.

    For laughs also used a new cable on the HDD and plugged into a different connector. No change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments