Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T23:58:09+00:00

    Didn't see it mentioned but here's the fix that helped me: going into the Network Settings and disabling "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and "Large Send Offload."

    Windows 11:

    1. Go to Settings\Network & Internet\Advanced Settings\
    2. For Ethernet or Wifi (whatever you're using) expand the tab and go to "More Adapter Options" and click "Edit"
    3. in the new window click "Configure"
    4. Go to the "Advanced" tab
    5. Disable "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and the 2 "Large Send Offload" options.
    6. The network will reset but after that you should have faster transfer speeds... at least for a while!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T18:08:08+00:00

    I assume O365 is not installed?

    0365?
    What's an 0365?
    Can be ANYTHING.

    If you respond, PLEASE make it clear, as to what you are on about?
    Since, trying to Google that ... I had billions of sites, ranging from phone numbers to version numbers of everything.

    Why do people never be clear?
    It's not hard to do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-07T05:27:36+00:00

    It is a Microsoft patch problem which they have not acknowledged. As you can see it affects many people. If you can roll back the last 2 or 3 months of updates on win 11 or (windows 10) the problem goes away until the system is again updated. I have not been able to isolate the exact patch, my second notebook screen broke and I have to work, and **** ME WORKING PATCHES ARE MICROSOFT’S RESPONSIBILITY, *BEFORE THEY INFLICT IT ON US*.

    ALL these were done on W10 and W11 machines with more than a dozen USB drives of multiple types. * formally working perfectly and 6 brand new, never used out of the box

    It is not a bad or old USB drive.

    ALL USB drives have this fault manifested on W10 and 11.

    I have tested brand new straight out of the box drives from EMTEC, SAN DISK and VERBATIIM

    Total download speeds as low as 32 Kbyte a second when copying 10 GB of files

    It is not the wrong file system.

    Formatting as exFAT, FAT32, or NTFS makes absolutely no difference. BTW the people suggesting that SSD and USB flash drives should be NTFS are wrong.. NTFS causes much more wear because of all the extra data file information and there is visible change in performance.

    It is not a worn out drive or a fragmented drive.

    Brand new USB drives with NO files already on them still have this problem. Fragmentation is not an issue with Flash drives or SSD. Fragmentation only affects mechanical drives with rotating cylinders and mechanical heads. Data can't be read until the head and the data on the cylinders are in the right position.

    Also this problem occurred suddenly not gradually - this means something "wearing out" is highly unlikely.

    It is not a USB drive loading a USB 1.x version driver instead of a version 2.x driver.

    I tested with flask drives that used a USB2.x interface and USB3.x interfaces. The problem affects both. Also the data rates for copying large amounts of data (multiple files or large file) are even slower than usb1.x. The slow rate might be compatible with USB HID but that would be a stupid claim and unsupportable.

    It is not a virus.

    After 2 months Microsoft Defender cannot find a virus or a root kit. Neither can Malaware Bytes.

    I have tested this carefully and found this staggering slowdown exists with both fully patched windows 10 and 11 with only very common, non invasive software (no weird low level drives, pirate software or background application.

    My computer used are an Acer Aspire 5 and 8GB ram, 250GB hard drive, 100GB free, Windows 11. And a Acer Swift 1 with 4GB ram and Windows 10 (this is the one I broke by in an accident - parts are coming)

    I was for more than 10 years a senior computer technician at Queensland University of Technology and I hold an Associate Diploma of Electrical Engineering (Industrial control and microcomputers).

    Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

    I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

    It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

    I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

    I am on day 3 of copying these files.

    I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

    Hoping someone can help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-05T00:27:54+00:00

    Hello,

    Am having the same issue.... using win 11. now looking at files and see they are stored in the cloud... just opened properties of the folder and selected always keep on this computer. Think the problem may be that the files i think are stored on the computer are not... have to be downloaded from cloud to copy to hard drive...

    hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more