Did you uninstall or disable OneDrive to be sure that's not the cause of the delays?
Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow
Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?
I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.
It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.
I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.
I am on day 3 of copying these files.
I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.
Hoping someone can help.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2024-08-14T23:42:47+00:00 I second this. I have a brand new built computer using NVME for both drives. No viruses. It took me an hour to unpack a zip file that i got from drop box and copy it to my computer. Meanwhile my buddy with a piece of trash laptop that is 5 years old running windows 10 was done in 3 minutes. I have read through all of the comments and suggestions and they are bullcrap.
-
Anonymous
2024-08-10T15:11:55+00:00 I am copying from a "local" OneDrive folder to a hard drive. These files have not been accessed for a year or two. Copy speed is average 3-5 MB/second.
I used Task Manager to view Wi-Fi usage (nothing but the copy running) and it is sending less than 1 Mbps but receiving about 50 Mbps So the problem is OneDrive having to sync with the cloud! -
Anonymous
2024-07-24T01:14:38+00:00 Add me to this ... I have been looking for a solution for nearly a year now. And it needs to be fixed. Whatever this issue is, it is WINDOWS causing the problem and Microsoft needs to get their backsides in gear and fix it. Waiting for a 100GB file to transfer between 2 separate NVME drives OR JUST make a new copy of the file on the same drive, should not take nearly 2 hours at less than 1MB/s speeds.
-
Anonymous
2024-07-24T01:08:30+00:00 Those should have NOTHING to do with file copying from one SSD to another or USB drive to an NVME drive. etc...