Office365
Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow
Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?
I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.
It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.
I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.
I am on day 3 of copying these files.
I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.
Hoping someone can help.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2024-09-18T05:07:22+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-08-22T05:53:05+00:00 Cheers for that I will try it
-
Anonymous
2024-08-21T23:27:24+00:00 Someone recommended TeraCopy. OMG lightning fast. Highly recommend!
-
Anonymous
2024-08-21T05:55:57+00:00 I have dual boot because of this problem. Just install windows 10 running alongside just for copying and moving files from PC to NAS. I even tried buying a 2.5GB switch and buying USB to 2.5g network devices. Its still slow
Its another device you need to protect with anti-virus :-(
Hope this helps, tech support replies are a joke
-
Anonymous
2024-08-21T02:47:34+00:00 Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?
I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.
It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.
I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.
I am on day 3 of copying these files.
I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.
Hoping someone can help.
This is a windows issue. Transfer starts off at a nice clip then drops to 2mb then down to 300kb Drive are internal SATA in good shape, no viruses, nothing else running. It's just what it does, It has always been this way. Suuuuuucks. I am trying to switch to all m.2 drives in the hope that'll be quicker, but I have to get files off my SATA drives and I expect that will be the weak link.