Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-22T22:20:24+00:00

    Why can't someone from Microsoft answer this question? I'm a retired computer tech, and most of these answers are so basic it's ridiculous. My computer has an AMD 7800X3D CPU, 96gb of RAM and it was fast as could be UNTIL I reinstalled Windows 11. I've reinstalled Windows twice, thinking something must have gone wrong the first time, and I still can hardly use my computer. Trying to copy 200mb of files from one drive to another takes hours now. It just sits there saying calculating and nothing happens for what seems like forever. This is not normal. Nothing has changed on my PC except for reinstalling the latest version of Windows 11 Pro. Now my computer is unusable. I don't have 19 hours (estimated time) for a small file copy. The NVME drives aren't as bad....they seem a little slower copying files but the spinning hard drives are practically useless now. They are less than a year old, and worked fine up until I reinstalled Windows 11.

    There is nothing wrong with my hardware. It worked fine yesterday, up until I got the stupid idea of doing a fresh Windows installation. I got in the habit of doing a fresh install about once a year. I am so sorry I did that now. Because Microsoft has turned what was a screaming fast computer into a potato.

    Don't tell me to use a third party program to copy files, and yeah I've uninstalled One Drive (it's practically malware if you ask me), and I'm using Windows Defender like I always do. All my drives didn't decide to fail because I reinstalled Windows. This is a Microsoft problem. I PAID for Windows....I want it to work. Not handicap my PC.

    Edit: I used a live Ubuntu usb to verify it's not my hardware. Using Ubuntu my 400mb copied in seconds, with Windows estimated time of 19 hours. It's a Windows problem without a doubt. AND notice 118 users have the same issue, with no reply from Microsoft. Like I said previously, I paid for this OS, why the hell has it broken my PC and why don't I get any support?

    SOLVED: Wow, I was upset. haha First lets address me wanting support. I actually got 3 hours of support from a Microsoft rep. It was surprisingly easy to do too. Shame on me for assuming I couldn't get support. To be honest, in those 3 hours we did not figure out the problem, but he sure tried. My system seemed to get worse every time I rebooted. While linux worked at first, that didn't last long. In the end, the drive wasn't even recognized in the bios, much less Windows. To make a long story short, it turned out that my SATA cable was slowly dying. I replaced the SATA cable, and no more problem. My apologies for any disparaging remarks I may have made about Microsoft. haha

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T23:58:09+00:00

    Didn't see it mentioned but here's the fix that helped me: going into the Network Settings and disabling "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and "Large Send Offload."

    Windows 11:

    1. Go to Settings\Network & Internet\Advanced Settings\
    2. For Ethernet or Wifi (whatever you're using) expand the tab and go to "More Adapter Options" and click "Edit"
    3. in the new window click "Configure"
    4. Go to the "Advanced" tab
    5. Disable "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and the 2 "Large Send Offload" options.
    6. The network will reset but after that you should have faster transfer speeds... at least for a while!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T10:39:13+00:00

    Win7 is the best OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-12T16:54:12+00:00

    Same issue.

    New computer 12gen i5 CPU 32G Ram.

    Trying to copy files from old 500 G HDD to the new SSD drive.

    Transfer rate is like 1MB/s or even less.

    Anyone have a fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-07T15:35:32+00:00

    I assume O365 is not installed?

    Do you have a third party AV installed as there should be no problem in win normal boot

    I copies 19,000kb an hour ago and it took some seconds, something on your system is causing this

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments