I have the same problem. Bought a new hi-spec Asus Windows 11 machine and copying files from external HD to SSD. Windows 10 on the old machi does it in a blink of the eye. new machine is slower than molasses in January. The difference is gargantuan. FastCopy no better Sync Back estimates 2 days g hours! How can Microsoft continue to ignore this problem???
Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow
Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?
I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.
It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.
I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.
I am on day 3 of copying these files.
I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.
Hoping someone can help.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2024-11-07T22:07:53+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-07-24T01:14:38+00:00 Add me to this ... I have been looking for a solution for nearly a year now. And it needs to be fixed. Whatever this issue is, it is WINDOWS causing the problem and Microsoft needs to get their backsides in gear and fix it. Waiting for a 100GB file to transfer between 2 separate NVME drives OR JUST make a new copy of the file on the same drive, should not take nearly 2 hours at less than 1MB/s speeds.
-
Anonymous
2024-04-22T08:28:27+00:00 Thank you that is a good way! (which this geezer finds to complicated; I don't understand prompts... when a right click and 'copy' was all that was needed until now)
Please may we specify that it is not "Window is also sometimes quite inefficient..." (very politely put) ...
but: " Windows11 is also quite inefficient..." (all the time)Windows7 never had that problem! W7 copied to the full efficiency of their hardware. (with never having any error!)
My ten year old Windows7 laptop copied x10 faster than my new windows11! (both i5)
The W7 crashed 2 times in ten years and run five apps and 15tabs simultaneously! the W11 can barely start without glitching.
NOT to mention the horendous right click (that needs five more clicks to do what I previously did with one click; same with start button.
And that monstrous music player :( no animation, no side view of playlist, and hiden soundbar that I have to click... to open... to change volume!!! :(((
Windows 7 was the pinacle of OS!For the question I read somewere that when copying, W11 is ALL the time searching ALL the files, EVERY file(!!!) before copying for avoiding double copying or something... that is why it takes 12minutes for a 10GB folder to copy.
I repeat, my ten year old W7 did the same in 2minutes or less with not one mistake ever! It was flawless! (WHY change it??)
And W7 run on HDD!!! when the new W11 runs SSD!!!
Kind regards
PS
-
Anonymous
2024-08-14T23:42:47+00:00 I second this. I have a brand new built computer using NVME for both drives. No viruses. It took me an hour to unpack a zip file that i got from drop box and copy it to my computer. Meanwhile my buddy with a piece of trash laptop that is 5 years old running windows 10 was done in 3 minutes. I have read through all of the comments and suggestions and they are bullcrap.
-
Anonymous
2024-07-24T01:08:30+00:00 Those should have NOTHING to do with file copying from one SSD to another or USB drive to an NVME drive. etc...