Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-22T23:41:05+00:00

    System Restore corrupting my system was why I reinstalled Win11 in the first place. I am none too pleased with Microsoft right now. I'm retired, and I like playing computer games, otherwise I would just ditch this P.O.S. operating system and use Linux. Copying and pasting files in Linux takes seconds, unlike WinDoze's 19 hour estimate. SMH I am so frustrated and pissed off.

    Edit: Problem solved. My system seemed to get worse every time I rebooted. While linux worked at first, that didn't last long. To make a long story short, it turned out that my SATA cable was slowly dying. Used a new SATA cable, and no more problem. My apologies for any disparaging remarks I may have made about Microsoft. haha

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-22T22:34:12+00:00

    I have just retired after 25 years in IT in aerospace. Its so bad especially trying a system restore 90% fails. I thought it was me, seem to re-install so much (murder for relicensing software every build) Its slightly better than NT4 :-). I have started using Tera copy its faster and reliable. I have noticed more and more software having a linux back end. I used to work with Unix years ago and we hardly went down. Software seems to be rushed out these days not a lot of testing before release. Think that's what Sundays are for re-installing windows 11 lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments