Waiting for printer connection

Anonymous
2023-12-14T05:51:25+00:00

“Waiting for printer connection” pop up started coming up a couple of weeks ago and has been causing multiple issues.

Excel and Word randomly do not open, and then when I open the program again it tells me the file is already in use yet nothing is open. Task manager shows nothing open or running. I have to restart my computer each time to use the document or workbook and I sometimes I need to do this more than once before it will decide to randomly work.

I cannot print new documents or workbooks, it becomes unresponsive and then the program has to close. I can only print from saved documents, which o can’t always open!

MYOB cannot print now, I have to save as a pdf and then print. I know MYOB isn’t “Microsoft” but this only started when this pop up started. I have never experienced this issue before.

This is happening on all four computers and started at the exact same time.

I have tried turning off all network sharing connections and still no change.

This is really impacting my day to day operations ans these programs are all I use. It causing a significant loss of time.

Can someone please help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T18:25:11+00:00

    Message occurred anytime I opened NotePad or WordPad items.

    In the devices/Printers I found a no longer available wifi Printer was listed. I removed that item and issue seems to have resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T15:48:38+00:00

    It is just a workaround. Visio tries to open a printer without needing it, before even opening a file, and hangs there... I use my computer at home and office.

    Visio shouldn't "lock" on getting printer settings before trying to print, or get them in background,

    It is very anoying when, in the middle of a meeting, you try to open a diagram and your system locks in the "open dialog" screen.

    It is sad a good product is just going down with these junior mistakes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-22T18:55:47+00:00

    July 22, 2024...just finding this thread due to the same issue. Have tried one solution - turning off MS management of printers. It seems to happen when I open Adobe programs as well. I can still save pdfs but have to constantly dismiss this annoying prompt from Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-16T15:55:56+00:00

    That would obviously be a temporary fix. I do not want to use PDF as my default. I want my printer to be. This is a problem that should have been solved by now. Where did this error message come from and when did it start? I don't know, but it's annoying and it seems to only pop up when I want to use My HTML Editor (WYSIWYG) and Adobe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-16T14:09:22+00:00

    Yep, exactly my experience - solved it by:

    • "Let Windows manage my default printer" OFF
    • "Default printer" MICROSOFT PRINT TO PDF

    Only Applying

    "Let Windows manage my default printer" OFF

    got the issue resolved
    --thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments