Waiting for printer connection

Anonymous
2023-12-14T05:51:25+00:00

“Waiting for printer connection” pop up started coming up a couple of weeks ago and has been causing multiple issues.

Excel and Word randomly do not open, and then when I open the program again it tells me the file is already in use yet nothing is open. Task manager shows nothing open or running. I have to restart my computer each time to use the document or workbook and I sometimes I need to do this more than once before it will decide to randomly work.

I cannot print new documents or workbooks, it becomes unresponsive and then the program has to close. I can only print from saved documents, which o can’t always open!

MYOB cannot print now, I have to save as a pdf and then print. I know MYOB isn’t “Microsoft” but this only started when this pop up started. I have never experienced this issue before.

This is happening on all four computers and started at the exact same time.

I have tried turning off all network sharing connections and still no change.

This is really impacting my day to day operations ans these programs are all I use. It causing a significant loss of time.

Can someone please help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-21T15:16:24+00:00

    I think I resolved it by removing a printer that is on a network which is not currently accessible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-24T08:34:43+00:00

    For me the solution was to make Microsoft PDF default. Delete printer. Add printer. Make default.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T15:48:38+00:00

    It is just a workaround. Visio tries to open a printer without needing it, before even opening a file, and hangs there... I use my computer at home and office.

    Visio shouldn't "lock" on getting printer settings before trying to print, or get them in background,

    It is very anoying when, in the middle of a meeting, you try to open a diagram and your system locks in the "open dialog" screen.

    It is sad a good product is just going down with these junior mistakes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-10T19:16:29+00:00

    I think I had a similar problem. I was unable to print to my HP LaserJet 200 color printer. It has been in my Windows 11 system for several years operating without a problem. After reading one of the solutions offered here, I decided to look at the port assignment via Settings > Bluetooth & Devices >Print server properties. I selected the Ports tab, and scrolled down to find my printer. I selected it and then chose Configure Port.

    Much to my surprise, it was using 192.168.68.52, but checking the wireless printer settings on the HP screen revealed that the port it was using was 192.168.68.53. So I changed the Print server properties setting to the latter, and voila, the printer was immediately working. Finally after hours of troubleshooting examining Windows update records, checking Acrobat update records, looking at Windows event logs, and trying to print from different applications. I'm not sure how the Windows IP/port setting got changed, and I've seen it before. I should have checked this early on instead of jumping down the rabbit-hole of more complex causes/solutions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-25T18:31:36+00:00

    It's now 4/25/24 and the problem still exists.

    I have a printer at home but not at the office and I take my laptop back and forth so my home printer is the default but looks offline while at the office.

    Why Visio insist on trying to contact the printer just because I click on the FILE menu I'll never understand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments