Windows Spotlight suddenly decided to use Thai language instead of my system setting (US English). How to fix this?

Anonymous
2023-12-29T07:16:46+00:00

Windows Spotlight suddenly decided to use Thai language instead of my system setting (US English). How to fix this?

After login, all language/region settings seem fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T14:39:22+00:00

    @ginsekai - jan 13 - My Windows 11 laptop does exactly the same as yours. Same pictures, the second one appearing after "not liking" the first with the same, Finnish, language appearing on the screen. My pc is in southern Europe and set to English. This does not appear to be random but a result, perhaps of a set of parameters, but not a random issue thrown out by windows spotlight.

    Thanks for including the screenshots.... Good idea 👍👍

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T14:54:39+00:00

    I doubt it has anything to do with system settings. It's a goof in the meta-data for the pictures that Spotlight generates.

    That second picture is now active for me, this time without any metadata.

    We'll just have to wait for Microsoft to fix the sillyness.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T17:54:59+00:00

    I have same exact problem which just started this past week. I think JP barends and Gernot Kvas are correct in their assessments. I think Microsoft must have generated a bug with one of the latest updates.

    This same problem also referenced in another thread on answers.microsoft:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chinese-characters-on-the-first-screen-after/385704ef-42fb-4bf5-bb41-d33d335be217

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T19:52:20+00:00

    Similar issue as most have posted here.

    First started Friday 12 Jan 2024.
    Everything set to Eng(Canadian), all suggested steps tried with no relief from the symptom.

    The Spotlight picture is still in a Scandinavian language, and the picture hasn't changed in 24 hours, several reboots or logout/login attempts, so cannot see if the next picture is affected.

    Changing from Spotlight, the pictures and Slideshow are in the correct language.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-14T01:11:49+00:00

    Mine is the same image, the white cliffs. The cliffs of Cassis in France. I had the Thai text as well.

    When the image first appeared, the text was in English. Today it was in Thai.

    I had an update to do. I processed that. Not fixed.

    I went through the 'intl.cpl' process, including the restart. Still not fixed.

    I clicked the "Not a fan" button. When the image changed, it went back to English.

    It had me worried for a while.

    Windows 10. I was surprised to see someone post that it also affects Windows 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments