Windows Spotlight suddenly decided to use Thai language instead of my system setting (US English). How to fix this?

Anonymous
2023-12-29T07:16:46+00:00

Windows Spotlight suddenly decided to use Thai language instead of my system setting (US English). How to fix this?

After login, all language/region settings seem fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T00:19:50+00:00

    I think I might have got the exact same image with the exact same issue. As you can see from the screenshot below, the system messages (date, time, etc.) are all in English, the image was taken in Indonesia, and the Windows Spotlight messages are in Finnish for some inexplicable reason. (No Finnish language pack or keyboard pack has ever been installed on the afflicted machine.)

    I clicked on the "Not a fan" option to force an image change, and ended up with a different background picture (this time from France), but the Spotlight messages were still in Finnish:

    It's worth noting that I first noticed this right after I allowed the relevant machine to update itself, so my first instinct was that the update broke something. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to take a look at precisely what the update included, so I can't really even guess if it might be related. Another possibly relevant detail is that my preferred system language and physical region of residence do not match, and it sounds like that applies to at least some of the other people reporting the same issue here. (And for the record, my region is not Finland, either. In fact, I'm in East Asia.) Strangely, the affected machine is the Surface that was issued to me by my employer, and that machine runs Windows 10 Pro. My Windows 11 PC at home had not (at least not yet) exhibited any such symptoms, despite receiving an update around the same time. So either this glitch pops up quite randomly, or it only affects some subset of Windows 10 machines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T02:57:50+00:00

    Your fix doesn't work. The bug appears to be in Spotlight itself as the language changes to whereever the location of the picture is. Hope Microsoft fixes this soon. In them meantime, I'm turning Windows Spotlight off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T06:05:15+00:00

    None of these fixes work!

    I've changed all the region settings, and even deleted any other language on the system... but Windows Spotlight (that starting picture screen before log in screen where it shows random pictures from around the world) is always in a different language.

    This has only started occuring relatively recently, and its very annoying!

    If MS can't fix the issue, please tell us how to disable Windows Spotlight entirely. It's very disconcerting that other languages are being displayed on my log in screen.

    Give me a register edit to disable Windows Spotlight entirely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T13:22:13+00:00

    I switched off spotlight by going to 'Settings', then 'Personalisation', then 'Personalise Lock Screen' and switched Windows Spotlight to Picture.

    This solved the issue as Spotlight was no longer providing the image on my lock screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T14:05:28+00:00

    This started happening to me at around New Year. Picture taken in France, captions first in Swedish and then in Japanese. Laptop in UK, with English my primary language and French and Dutch as secondary languages.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments