(Solved) Internet stopped working after windows update

Anonymous
2023-12-08T11:18:07+00:00

Hi everyone,

I installed a Windows update last night and my internet has stopped working ever since. The WiFi network shows as 'connected' and it works fine on my phone but nothing on my computer (I tried different browsers). I tried uninstalling the update and pausing Windows Update to stop it from reinstalling it but it still won't work. No internet either when I use my phone as hotspot.

The update I installed is: Windows 11 version 23H2 for systems x64 (KB5032288).

I would appreciate any support, thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
David-M 127.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2023-12-09T12:41:10+00:00

Yes. It was probably the VPN that caused the issue.

If it happens again, make sure your VPN is up to date. And if it happens again, even after updating, consult the Psiphon developer.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. David-M 127.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-12-08T13:54:38+00:00

    Thanks for the screenshot.

    Perform a clean boot to see if any third-party program in the background is causing this problem. Follow the instructions carefully.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-t...
    If the problem does not occur after a clean boot. In this same article, there is a technique to help you identify which program is causing this in "How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot".

    After finding the cause or if it does not help, return to normal boot as instructed in "Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-08T14:19:19+00:00

    I did the clean boot but in the Task Manager, I wasn't able to disable my antivirus (Avast Launch program). I disabled everything else but Avast stayed 'enabled'.

    Should I still return to normal boot? I restarted the computer and still no internet.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. David-M 127.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-12-08T17:12:01+00:00

    Yes. You can return to normal boot.

    What version of Avast are you using? (Free, Premium, Ultimate)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-08T17:52:02+00:00

    Thank you, done.

    The free version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments