(Solved) Internet stopped working after windows update

Anonymous
2023-12-08T11:18:07+00:00

Hi everyone,

I installed a Windows update last night and my internet has stopped working ever since. The WiFi network shows as 'connected' and it works fine on my phone but nothing on my computer (I tried different browsers). I tried uninstalling the update and pausing Windows Update to stop it from reinstalling it but it still won't work. No internet either when I use my phone as hotspot.

The update I installed is: Windows 11 version 23H2 for systems x64 (KB5032288).

I would appreciate any support, thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
David-M 127.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2023-12-09T12:41:10+00:00

Yes. It was probably the VPN that caused the issue.

If it happens again, make sure your VPN is up to date. And if it happens again, even after updating, consult the Psiphon developer.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-12T03:06:01+00:00

    Hi. I'm David, and I'm happy to help you.

    I suggest doing the following:

    Reset the network settings as instructed below:

    1. Press "Windows + I" and select "Network & Internet > Advanced network settings";
    2. Select "Network Reset";
    3. Select "Reset Now", and at the confirmation screen, select "Yes";
      Note: The PC will need to be restarted.
    4. Now open Start and type cmd;
    5. Right-click on "Command Prompt" in the result list and select "Run as administrator";
    6. At the Command Prompt, type the following commands one at a time and press Enter:

    netsh int ip reset
    netsh winsock reset
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns

    1. Restart your PC and see if the issue is resolved.

    If the problem persists, let me know.
    Feel free to ask back any questions.

    Hello David I cant use commands what should I do

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-08T20:15:28+00:00

    I had a similar issue today after updating my Windows 11 setup with KB5055523.

    I followed all the steps previously stated in this thread, but nothing worked.

    I then decided to open the old "Internet options" and check the proxy in there.

    I found that something had added a http://127.0.0.1 proxy on port 49755 so I unticked the box and bingo stuff started working again.

    Hope this helps someone. ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-21T23:20:00+00:00

    Hi David:

    Hello, how're you?

    Here in 2025, I'm facing this same issue after a recent Windows update.

    Would the steps to redress be the same?

    Tried your first Advice in this chain, but that didn't work.

    Please reply when possible.

    Thanks, mvjjohn

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-14T03:17:01+00:00

    Same problem occured again after last update just 2 days ago, copilot disappear too, network reset not work and I am trying to reset whole pc. there are just too many quality issues of windows recently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments