"We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date. "

Anonymous
2024-02-08T20:59:07+00:00

I am trying to add another user to my computer system, but I get the message: "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date. " How can I fix this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Family and online safety

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-19T16:51:11+00:00

    I have the same error message: "We couldn't connect to Microsoft Family right now..." I have this issue on two different laptops, one with Windows 10 and the other with Windows 11, which my kids use.

    Unfortunately, your solution didn't work. My account is an admin account, and I am logged in with a Microsoft account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T15:41:41+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T13:00:52+00:00

    This dont work, This Family Safety is a Joke, It mostly dont work.

    Acounts disconnects randomly or there is message that "We couldnt connect to Microsoft Family righth now..."

    Te result is mostly the same, my children can do anything they want with their computer.

    I have Family Link on my children phones and it has its pros and cons but it does what it have to do.

    Prevent may children to spend to mouch time with phone and let mi filter their apps.

    Why Mocrosoft cant do this what Google or Apple can?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T02:02:44+00:00

    I solved it by changing the local account to a microsoft account. This error appeared on a laptop (not the original family device) so I forgot it was not logged in as a microsoft account.

    Solution steps:

    1. On admin/organizer account: add child accounts, and make sure to log in to them the first time so they are fully set up. (If you go to the "Family & other users" tab now it will still show the error)
    2. Then on the admin/organizer account go to Your Info. (If you're having the same issue as me, under your name here it says "Local Account") Hit "Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead."
    3. Once that's complete, come back to the "Family & other users" tab, you should see that your child "Can Sign In". If you don't see that hit "Allow".
    4. Now log in to the child account and open Microsoft family safety on a browser: account.microsoft.com/family/home, and on the child's page there should show another connected device!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more