"We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date. "

Anonymous
2024-02-08T20:59:07+00:00

I am trying to add another user to my computer system, but I get the message: "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date. " How can I fix this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Family and online safety

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T16:20:13+00:00

    The above provide solutions are not working:

    1. Internet connection is good.
    2. The provided MS link says: Everything is up and running.
    3. No Proxy or VPN.

    Any other proper solutions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-07T10:05:37+00:00

    I also had this problem on several computers and managed to solve it. On Windows 11 under Settings->Accounts->Your Info, there was a message that read something like "You need to update some info for your Microsoft account". I pressed "Continue" and I guess the information was updated, because this resolved the issue on all computers. This maybe works also for Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-12T10:11:48+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-09T17:09:41+00:00

    Same problem here on multiple Windows 10 PCs.

    My local Windows account is connected to my Microsoft account and I've made sure the authentication is active/valid in both Windows account settings and Edge browser. I'm connected to the internet, no VPN/Proxy, etc.

    I noticed this behavior when I tried to add my child as a user on another PC a few weeks ago, but figured it was just a fluke or that computer specifically. Now it's doing the same thing when trying to add them to my laptop.

    If I go to Settings>Accounts>Family & Other Users there's a yellow warning under the Your Family section saying "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now". Only adults were listed under family users.

    I tried doing "Add a family member" and adding the child account account using their account email address. It sends an invite to their email asking to join my family group (even though they're already in it). I signed in as them and accepted the invite, and now it lists them twice in the Microsoft Family Safety dashboard and I can't get the new/duplicate one to stop being in Pending state.

    Anyway, now in Windows I can switch users and sign in with the child account. All good except that there's ZERO child safety mechanisms. I open up Edge, make sure it's signed in as them, try going to a **** and it loads right up. This whole system is a joke and a mess! Just a **** excuse for Microsoft to say they care about "family safety".

    Forget all the Windows integration issues -- Shouldn't at least Microsoft Edge by itself, knowing it's signed in with a CHILD Microsoft account, block browsing to adult sites?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-23T20:36:05+00:00

    Hello, I had the same issue.

    This is how I solved it ( I have italian version, so the name of the settings may be different in english):

    in account-your info (the account of the family admin), below "manage my Microsoft account", I found something like "you have to update this info.." or something like that

    by clicking on it and logging in, the problem instantaneously disappeared!

    Thanks
    Massimo

    Thanks. This solved it for me too. Even stranger how a couple of months ago the issue got resolved on its own for a while and then got broken again. Microsoft should place a copy of the "You need to update some info for your Microsoft account. - Update info" option on the "Family & other users" screen as well and highlight it in red to make it apparent that it requires user attention.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments