All my file have change to the time when I copy.
So that when I open file on Indesign, It report me update links
We can not work with windows 11
File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.
Dear Microsoft Wizards,
I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and spaceships, I find myself anchored to a mundane reality. In reality, copying files and folders in Windows File Explorer betrays their original timestamps, casting them adrift in the present, forgetting their noble past.
Imagine a world where one could copy a file or folder without the cruel hands of the present altering their date and time stamps. A world where digital artifacts remain untouched by the ravages of time, preserving their history as meticulously as a museum curator with a penchant for organization and accuracy.
"Why not use robocopy or other command prompt utilities?" I hear you ask, your voices echoing through the hallowed halls of Redmond. Ah, but here lies the rub! While these tools are mighty in their own right, they demand a saint's patience and a wizard's expertise. Delving into the command prompt is akin to stepping into an ancient crypt inscribed with arcane commands and cryptic parameters. It is a thrilling adventure for the occasional file or two, perhaps, but Herculean labor when faced with the task of preserving the timestamps of hundreds, nay, thousands of files and folders.
So, I pray that you, the noble scribes and engineers of Microsoft, bestow upon us, the humble users, a magical feature within the Windows File Explorer itself. A feature that allows us to copy our digital treasures while keeping their temporal essence intact – no spells, no incantations, and indeed no command line rituals required.
In this quest for temporal fidelity, I stand ready to champion this cause, armed with nothing but my wit and a profound desire for user-friendly file management. Together, let us forge a new path through the annals of digital file preservation, ensuring that our files and folders may travel through the vast expanse of directories without losing sight of their origins.
Yours in time-traveling solidarity,
Luis Martinez
******@outlook.com
P.S. If this feature comes to pass, future generations will look back on this moment as a turning point in history – the day we let our files journey through time, unaltered and proud, their timestamps shining like beacons of their actual age.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
53 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2024-06-19T05:53:39+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-06-21T11:52:00+00:00 Yes, I just noticed this behavior this morning. The modified date for files copied from a network share update to the time of copying. Major screw-up by Microsoft.
Workaround is to zip the files first, copy the zip and then unpack. Modified dates don't change then.
Microsoft, fix this!
-
Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2024-06-21T12:25:11+00:00 The modified date for files copied from a network share update to the time of copying.
I don't have this issue when copying files from my NAS. What type of network share do you have? Is that a folder shared from another Windows 11 PC or something else? I recommend posting a report via the Feedback Hub with all the details necessary to recreate the issue.
-
Anonymous
2024-06-26T18:03:44+00:00 In my win11, I visit a network share on windows server(smb server). Whether copying files from smb server to local machine, or copying or moving files directly on smb server, the timestamps change. I think this is a problem after win11 was updated with the May patch, because I don't have this problem on a window11 machine that hasn't been turned on since May.
The modified date for files copied from a network share update to the time of copying.
I don't have this issue when copying files from my NAS. What type of network share do you have? Is that a folder shared from another Windows 11 PC or something else? I recommend posting a report via the Feedback Hub with all the details necessary to recreate the issue.
-
Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2024-06-27T13:17:59+00:00 In my win11, I visit a network share on windows server(smb server). Whether copying files from smb server to local machine, or copying or moving files directly on smb server, the timestamps change. I think this is a problem after win11 was updated with the May patch, because I don't have this problem on a window11 machine that hasn't been turned on since May.
I tested with Windows 11 24H2 26120.961 using a share on another Windows PC. The Date modified property for all files, copying in either direction, was unchanged. I suspect there are other variables involved such as compression, encryption, or OneDrive, possibly in combination with a recent update. It may take quite a lot of trial and error testing to narrow down the specific variables that trigger the problem.