Why is my windows saying my password is expired?

Anonymous
2024-02-26T14:28:35+00:00

Hello, I've been having an issue the past few hours and I cannot figure out how to fix it, Windows keeps asking me for a password and saying my old one is expired. I have been looking for answers on the internet and they all say that the password that windows is asking for is my Microsoft account password but it keeps saying that it's wrong even though I have reset it and used a different one since I'm still logged in on my phone. I made sure to put the right password in when logged in on my phone and that worked but when I boot up my pc and put that same password in it says it's wrong, please if anybody could help me I'm extremely confused.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-28T23:23:52+00:00

    Dozens of people I know are all having this issue. ... Why is this? Why is Windows having more problems than it did in 1998? Who is even working here causing all of these issues? It's like Microsoft has zero employees that have any clue what they are doing.

    Not everything is a catastrophe.

    Launch Local Users and Groups - lusrmgr.msc - as an Administrator and make the change. This works for me on my Windows 10 computer and also on my Windows 11 computer.

    Image

    This is not working for me beacuse I am not able to go past the first screen which asks for the log in details this a new laptop that I have never used so there is no way I set the password in the first place

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Les Ferch 10,371 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-01T00:42:54+00:00

    This is not working for me beacuse I am not able to go past the first screen which asks for the log in details this a new laptop that I have never used so there is no way I set the password in the first place

    If you are at a prompt that has two password fields and a right-pointing arrow, enter whatever you want for a password in both fields (i.e. same thing in both fields) and then click the right-pointing arrow. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-13T20:46:20+00:00

    For anyone who wants to log in:

    LEAVE THE BOX SAYING "Password" AS BLANK.

    Just put in a new password, type it in in the bottom box saying to confirm password, and click the arrow. If you put in anything in thr top box it'll simply state it's wrong.

    Afterwards highly recommend disabling password expiry option.

    Just now had a customer who had this problem on his Windows 11 Professional Surface 6 Pro tablet. He had set his password years ago and made it to never expire, (and where he never had to input it on startup) yet this just happened today (13 March 2025) with no rhyme or reason. He just booted-up as he normally does and Windows started trying to make him change a password that he hadn't had to mess with in years, trying to claim that it had 'expired'. Thank God he had it written down and accessible! This problem seems to be ongoing and Microsoft should surely address it. Kudos to the guys here who provided the answer to the problem. My final question is this: Does anybody know what's causing it? The fix is great to have handy, but I'd like to find out what caused the wacky behavior in the 1st place. Somebody at Microsoft has got to be aware of this...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-30T02:54:42+00:00

    i just left the old password line blank and typed in the new password (twice) and it worked!

    Someone at Microsoft is not doing their job, methinks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-01T15:50:55+00:00

    Thank you!! This worked for me too!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments