Why is my windows saying my password is expired?

Anonymous
2024-02-26T14:28:35+00:00

Hello, I've been having an issue the past few hours and I cannot figure out how to fix it, Windows keeps asking me for a password and saying my old one is expired. I have been looking for answers on the internet and they all say that the password that windows is asking for is my Microsoft account password but it keeps saying that it's wrong even though I have reset it and used a different one since I'm still logged in on my phone. I made sure to put the right password in when logged in on my phone and that worked but when I boot up my pc and put that same password in it says it's wrong, please if anybody could help me I'm extremely confused.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-02T08:37:55+00:00

    Hi

    Thanks for your reply.

    From your description, it seems that the expired password is for your local administrator account. If that is the case, you will need to remember the old password and then reset a new one. Once you have accessed Windows, disable the password expiration feature so that your password will not expire in the future.

    If you are getting “Your password has expired and must be changed” error. Click on the “OK” button and Windows will allow you to change the password then and there. Then you will have to enter the old password.

    Once you are logged in with a new password, now disable the Windows password expiry feature so that it does not occur again. Right-click on “My Computer” or “This PC” and open “Manage”.

    It will open the Computer Management window. Here, expand the “Local Users and Groups” menu and open “Users”. Now, right-click on your username and open “Properties”.

    Untick the “Password never expires” checkbox and click on the “OK” button. And your password on Windows 10 will not expire in the future.

    Wouldn't having the checkbox unchecked cause it to expire???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-29T01:47:47+00:00

    This worked for me but, if youve never had a password to begin with, try leaving the password blank and then the new passwords should be your new password

    and then i was able to get right in

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-01T05:06:28+00:00

    SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME

    Login your Microsoft in another PC.

    Follow the instructions or Microsoft reset disk using a flash drive.

    When the flash drive is prepared, plug into your PC, follow the steps,

    When promoted for password in the wizard screen click No.

    Follow the next stages and the password will be reset

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-01T06:05:20+00:00

    This is work for me too, crazy!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-01T07:34:18+00:00

    I'm happy that a problem I faced and solved can be of help to someone somewhere I don't know. 2025 here we go!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments