Why is my windows saying my password is expired?

Anonymous
2024-02-26T14:28:35+00:00

Hello, I've been having an issue the past few hours and I cannot figure out how to fix it, Windows keeps asking me for a password and saying my old one is expired. I have been looking for answers on the internet and they all say that the password that windows is asking for is my Microsoft account password but it keeps saying that it's wrong even though I have reset it and used a different one since I'm still logged in on my phone. I made sure to put the right password in when logged in on my phone and that worked but when I boot up my pc and put that same password in it says it's wrong, please if anybody could help me I'm extremely confused.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-16T13:04:42+00:00

    Hi I have the same problem with Windows 11 home. The password lock computer, we didn't set the administrator account on this laptop, we didn't needed. When I am trying to change the password I get the message to insert USB media? Could anyone help me with this? What kind of USB media I need to put in computer or what is the solution of this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-07T00:15:04+00:00

    Leave it blank the old password

    And for the new password try to put the password you want

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-09T15:44:12+00:00

    I have a local account that I usually use Windows Hello/face recognition to log in. This morning when I do so, it said:

    Your password has expired and must be changed. Sign in with your PIN in order to change it.

    I typed in my PIN, and it immediately says:

    Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain.

    And then I was back where I started. Trying to login in with PIN directly immediately showed the "Unable to update the password. ..." message. Trying to log in with password said that it needs to be changed, and then when I clicked "OK" it showed "Unable to update the password. ..."

    I forced rebooted the laptop (hold down power button until it shuts off, and then power it back on again). When I tried to login with face it said that my password needed to be changed, but then actually took me to a screen where I could type a new password. Insane that a reboot somehow changed its behavior around this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-12T19:24:15+00:00

    Yo guys,

    I just found a crazy trick that worked for me!😂 lol.

    Just type in the new password and reenter it. Leave the old password window blank and click next. It just worked for me😂

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments