Windows 11's Right Click Context Menu has got to go.

Anonymous
2024-02-29T16:22:53+00:00

This is the most terrible, stupid, and annoying thing Microsoft has ever designed into a UI.

They've completely abandoned us power users here, and even normal users.

Get rid of that stupid 'Show more Options' button and give us everything relevant to the element we're right clicking at the start, or give us an option to toggle it off so everyone gets the best of both worlds.

Having to use third party tools to hack up the UI to bring back the Windows 10 context menu is an atrocious bandaid many have been applying to fix this.

What would be even more amazing, which baffles me isn't an easily accessable thing, is the option to EDIT your right click context menu, and to uninstall / disable things that some programs attach to it.

Come on Microsoft.. at this rate, Windows 12 will be the curse of the computing world.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-03T17:27:49+00:00

    I too ran the corrected reg edit and when I tried to the right button it didn't work. I then rebooted my computer and it again failed.

    I opened Reg Editor and looked for HKCU\Software.

    That item did not appear at all.

    This is the header of my Reg Editor

    The HKCU isn't listed.

    The {86ca1... did show up under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InProcServer32

    When I attempt to add the /ve /d /f to the InProcServer32, I get an error message

    So, where do we go from here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-03T15:19:53+00:00

    For all those who were not able to get this done using the two solutions provided in this thread, I will post what worked for me.

    I had to create two registry entries, they are per-user, not machine-wide. Using notepad or notepad++, create a file containing this text:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}] 
    
    @="" 
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32] 
    
    @=""
    

    and save as a .reg file. It won't work if you save as .txt. then just run the registry edit by double clicking the file, and restart the explorer.exe process (it may be called "windows explorer" in windows 11 , i can't recall), or restart your computer, and the old context menu should be there.

    you can manually enter those keys, if you prefer. I got the registry edit file from someone else, so the above instructions are exactly what i did, and it worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-03T15:01:16+00:00

    I have W11 Pro. I ran the command

    reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32 /ve /d "" /f

    This is what I got back.

    PS C:\Users\harka> reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32 /ve /d "" /f
    ERROR: Invalid syntax.
    Type "REG ADD /?" for usage.
    PS C:\Users\harka>

    Hey @harkaway , at the end of the command, where there are two quotation marks in a row, remove one of the quotes, and add a quote just before "HKCU". I dont know why her command was written that way - it is invalid. the command from "HKCU" to "/d" should be within a pair of quotation marks, if i'm not mistaken.

    * that being said, the command returned no error for me, yet did not help at all with my context menu. I still have the stupid windows 11 context menu. very very frustrating and I am hating microsoft so much right now. downloaded a linux distro, and going to be attempting to work in that environment, where users are still allowed to be in control of the UI.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-29T17:12:17+00:00

    I have W11 Pro. I ran the command

    reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32 /ve /d "" /f

    This is what I got back.

    PS C:\Users\harka> reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32 /ve /d "" /f
    ERROR: Invalid syntax.
    Type "REG ADD /?" for usage.
    PS C:\Users\harka>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-13T22:00:48+00:00

    This command did not work for my Win 11 version:

    C:\Windows\System32>reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}" /f

    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

    However, the Weyburn Doug command did complete successfully.

    I am running Win 11 Pro 22631.3737

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments