Windows 11's Right Click Context Menu has got to go.

Anonymous
2024-02-29T16:22:53+00:00

This is the most terrible, stupid, and annoying thing Microsoft has ever designed into a UI.

They've completely abandoned us power users here, and even normal users.

Get rid of that stupid 'Show more Options' button and give us everything relevant to the element we're right clicking at the start, or give us an option to toggle it off so everyone gets the best of both worlds.

Having to use third party tools to hack up the UI to bring back the Windows 10 context menu is an atrocious bandaid many have been applying to fix this.

What would be even more amazing, which baffles me isn't an easily accessable thing, is the option to EDIT your right click context menu, and to uninstall / disable things that some programs attach to it.

Come on Microsoft.. at this rate, Windows 12 will be the curse of the computing world.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-08T07:02:36+00:00

    I always knew the day would come where Windows would finally go some place I care not to follow with endless registry fixes. Seems like this is it.

    So there's only one responsible thing left to do with Windows I guess.

    Its been real.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T17:18:21+00:00

    I’m an old programmer who worked in a nuclear weapons design lab 50 years ago. Fortran was the language then.

    I am retired and still do computering. My mind-set always asks “What is Microsoft’s mind-set.” when they alter, add, change, or omit functions in updated releases. Some of it makes me just darn curious why/how they change things... some additions are nice, but they never asked me.

    Just like the right-click opening window. What was wrong or inconvenient with how it worked in Win 10, that it was omitted in Win 11?

    Perhaps it is simply to lessen the amount of executable code.

    I am reminded of the old adage, “some things are better left alone.”

    The Win 11 interface has sure lengthened my learning curve, moving from Win 10. I’m using the search function in Excel probably 25 times more than I have ever, and that’s just using Excel. My favorite was Office Pro 2003, but I’ve had to move on to 365.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-27T19:25:32+00:00

    Doesn't work for MY newly upgraded Win 11 Pro.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-09T10:00:24+00:00

    Yes annoying fix it now

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-03T17:27:49+00:00

    I too ran the corrected reg edit and when I tried to the right button it didn't work. I then rebooted my computer and it again failed.

    I opened Reg Editor and looked for HKCU\Software.

    That item did not appear at all.

    This is the header of my Reg Editor

    The HKCU isn't listed.

    The {86ca1... did show up under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InProcServer32

    When I attempt to add the /ve /d /f to the InProcServer32, I get an error message

    So, where do we go from here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments