Windows 11's Right Click Context Menu has got to go.

Anonymous
2024-02-29T16:22:53+00:00

This is the most terrible, stupid, and annoying thing Microsoft has ever designed into a UI.

They've completely abandoned us power users here, and even normal users.

Get rid of that stupid 'Show more Options' button and give us everything relevant to the element we're right clicking at the start, or give us an option to toggle it off so everyone gets the best of both worlds.

Having to use third party tools to hack up the UI to bring back the Windows 10 context menu is an atrocious bandaid many have been applying to fix this.

What would be even more amazing, which baffles me isn't an easily accessable thing, is the option to EDIT your right click context menu, and to uninstall / disable things that some programs attach to it.

Come on Microsoft.. at this rate, Windows 12 will be the curse of the computing world.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-07T16:25:22+00:00

    My notes that show I have successfully used this command -

    reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}" /f

    That is a per user setting and does not require that the command prompt be run as Admin.

    Alternatively, this can be set with Win Aero Tweaker (a non Microsoft program) https://winaero.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-30T17:22:11+00:00

    At the very least, they should have put the most frequently used commands at the top of the list.

    We all know that there are:

    Cut, Copy, Paste and Rename.

    Why are they buried in the Additional Commands. You have to wonder about the people who write software for Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-04T15:52:06+00:00

    I totally agree ..... This fking useless beginner level context menu is a sh*t ..... Nearly no one on earth want this menu .....
    Even old people don't understand the copy paste cut icons ......

    It's just stupid !
    And even more stupid, THERE WAS NOT A FKING WAY TO REMOVE THIS THING WITHOUT DEALING WITH REGISTRY ....

    This menu lasted 1 day for me , until the first time I see it after W11 upgrade I directly searched how to remove this nonsense .....

    I Have 7zip, and other context menu items ...
    I have a 50" screen + 2 30" side screens, I don't need an useless shortened menu where you need to clic 2 times to find the old menu every time ...
    Even worse, the new sh*t context menu don't even work well, if you go on, and want to go in a side menu, 60% of time when you move your mouse the second menu go away and you need to do it again .....
    Even a newbie can do this more efficient ....

    Why Microsoft want to hide everything in the sh*tty metro style ?
    even in a simple thing like image browser you hide everything ..... No text, no nothing, just icons and ... 3dot menu all sides ....
    This some items don't fit in this f*king windows ? you need to hide them no matter if it's usefull or not ??

    It's like hiding a car door key hole under a cap that you can only open by pushing 3 dots on the door of the roof of the car, after counting until 9, and wait the full moon lunar phase .... It's stupid ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Les Ferch 10,366 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-25T15:17:10+00:00

    You can also use this free, open source tool I wrote that will apply the registry entry for you:

    https://lesferch.github.io/SwitchExplorer/

    Also, as others have noted, holding down the Shift key when right-clicking will give you the classic context menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-03T15:01:16+00:00

    I have W11 Pro. I ran the command

    reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32 /ve /d "" /f

    This is what I got back.

    PS C:\Users\harka> reg add HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32 /ve /d "" /f
    ERROR: Invalid syntax.
    Type "REG ADD /?" for usage.
    PS C:\Users\harka>

    Hey @harkaway , at the end of the command, where there are two quotation marks in a row, remove one of the quotes, and add a quote just before "HKCU". I dont know why her command was written that way - it is invalid. the command from "HKCU" to "/d" should be within a pair of quotation marks, if i'm not mistaken.

    * that being said, the command returned no error for me, yet did not help at all with my context menu. I still have the stupid windows 11 context menu. very very frustrating and I am hating microsoft so much right now. downloaded a linux distro, and going to be attempting to work in that environment, where users are still allowed to be in control of the UI.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments