Windows 11 now not active and won't let me activate. How to fix?

Anonymous
2024-02-16T07:51:18+00:00

Hi, my almost 2-year-old Lenovo laptop runs on Windows 11 Home but is now suddenly saying I need to activate windows.

By the activate troubleshoot button it shows the message "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license and product fee. If you think you have a valid license or key, select Troubleshoot below. Error code: 0xC004F012" and when I troubleshoot it returns the message "We can't activate Windows on this device at the moment you can try activating again later or go to the store to buy genuine Windows. (0xc0000022)"

It has a product key I can see it on the activation settings page, and I've used ShowKeyPlus to find both the installed and original keys and tried entering them both however it won't accept them with same "Product key you entered didn't work. (0xc0000022)"

I've tried sfc scannow, no problems and I've reset the computer, and nothing has changed.

Would include screenshots however they are failing to upload.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Neil D 34,335 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-04-25T21:49:58+00:00

    Julia Gibson1,

    You may need to check with the school.

    When you run through the initial setup of the device (known as OOBE, Out of Box Experience) you should create an account which by default is an administrator account.

    Activation on a Microsoft device would be via a licence embedded in the bios and should be automatic. Is the Surface brand new so far as you know?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-25T23:25:02+00:00

    Yes it is brand new!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Neil D 34,335 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-04-26T07:43:33+00:00

    When you first turned on the Surface did it go through the setup routine I mentioned. Asked for Language, Keyboard setup, Wi-Fi, and then an account?

    There is a specific forum for Surface devices and someone there may be able to help better.

    Results in Surface - Microsoft Community or you can edit your original post and change the forum.

    Sorry I was forgetting this is not your thread but you have asked in another user thread.

    In addition. There should be a 25 character licence key in the bios, you can access that as follows.

    To check open the Terminal (Admin) prompt again and enter

    wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey [press return] If it displays a 25 character licence key then get ShowKeyPlus from the Store and enter the key in Check edition.

    If the key comes back as Windows 7 or 8 then that cannot be used to activation Windows 10 or 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-17T17:05:58+00:00

    I want to update my wind. version if it is i will try I'll lose the one I'm already using lic microsoft it is downloaded it when I bought it
    I would like to have one of my own but I don't know how

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-17T17:06:52+00:00

    sana may marunong mag tagalog or taga dito sa pinas mismo ang aking makakausap para dito salamat

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments