It seems like if you turn off "Show all folders" in the Windows Explorer options, then this problem goes away. I've been tormented with this for a while. I have shortcuts on my desktop to specific folders and when I double click them, instead of going to the folder, it goes to desktop. I click back and I'm at the folder. This is annoying and isn't how shortcuts are supposed to work. Turning off "Show all folders" seems to have fixed it. What a joke that Microsoft can't get their act together. They are so worried about making everything cloud-based and finding a way to get people to subscribe to M365 and OneDrive that they have completely broken a once useful tool.
File Explorer keeps going to Desktop
When I browse and view files, File Explorer keeps going to Desktop by itself. It is easy to correct this by simply clicking the back button (<-). I would not mind if this happens once in a while, but it happens almost constantly, so it is a major nuisance.
For example, suppose that I am looking at pictures in folder E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo, open a picture with Photos, and use it to navigate to different photos, then File Explorer will suddenly jump to Desktop. This is almost 100% reproducible. I will have to click the back button to get back to E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo.
Could anyone offer a remedy for this?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2025-02-15T14:52:54+00:00 -
Anonymous
2025-02-16T21:05:29+00:00 It absolutely boggles my mind that a company with such a head start on the WORLD is unable to make a stable product with over 30 years of development. I've always had "head scratchers" while using File Explorer (since Windows 3.11) but Present Me in 2025 is open-mouthed aghast at this sorry end state. Thanks for this tip from the community, it helped.
-
Anonymous
2025-02-19T15:49:10+00:00 Works for me.
-
Anonymous
2025-03-01T10:26:58+00:00 Thank you that finally worked for me- so much nicer to use I am back in control.
-
Anonymous
2025-03-04T11:53:04+00:00 thanks it helps me out