File Explorer keeps going to Desktop

Anonymous
2024-03-25T17:19:20+00:00

When I browse and view files, File Explorer keeps going to Desktop by itself. It is easy to correct this by simply clicking the back button (<-). I would not mind if this happens once in a while, but it happens almost constantly, so it is a major nuisance.

For example, suppose that I am looking at pictures in folder E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo, open a picture with Photos, and use it to navigate to different photos, then File Explorer will suddenly jump to Desktop. This is almost 100% reproducible. I will have to click the back button to get back to E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo.

Could anyone offer a remedy for this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T20:39:13+00:00

    I am having the same issue!!! It's making me crazy!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T22:31:37+00:00

    Crazy isn't it.

    It was driving me nuts so much so that I have switched to a third party file explorer called One Commander.

    Pros

    It's stable and works as expected.

    Cons

    It doesn't fully replace File Explorer in all apps save dialogs.

    But its downsides are more than made up for with the customisation you can do with the layout.

    Hope this helps. I'm not expecting a fix from Microsoft since they don't even seem to acknowledge that users are experiencing this bug. A buggy File Explorer is completely out of character for Windows and Microsoft. It's such a core component of a productive operating system. I expect better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T23:02:47+00:00

    Well said, John. Thank you for the tip on One Commander. I am trying to install OneCommander from Microsoft Store but it has got stuck at 'Checking system requirements..."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T00:01:22+00:00

    I got my download from their website.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T22:12:57+00:00

    I have just updated Windows 11 to 24H2 and confirmed the issue remains as expected. It increasingly looks like a permanent bug.

    I could install OneCommander from the Microsoft Store after the update and rebooting. It looks great. Thank you again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments