File Explorer keeps going to Desktop

Anonymous
2024-03-25T17:19:20+00:00

When I browse and view files, File Explorer keeps going to Desktop by itself. It is easy to correct this by simply clicking the back button (<-). I would not mind if this happens once in a while, but it happens almost constantly, so it is a major nuisance.

For example, suppose that I am looking at pictures in folder E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo, open a picture with Photos, and use it to navigate to different photos, then File Explorer will suddenly jump to Desktop. This is almost 100% reproducible. I will have to click the back button to get back to E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo.

Could anyone offer a remedy for this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-02T18:28:52+00:00

    It's all gone quiet here on this? But I am having this issue too. Really annoying having to press back every time to go to where I expect to be

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-02T19:49:41+00:00

    Quiet, yes, but I suffer from this bug every day, actually, every hour, sometimes every few minutes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-03T01:39:53+00:00

    I have this issue too, its gotten to the point where I'm on a Microsoft forum, which is a place i never saw myself interacting with.

    This issue is now the worse pest i have had to deal with in my time, worse than a blue-screen. It happens anytime i open a .zip/.rar file, any archived folder for the matter, and being a modder, i use archived files everyday, and it happens every single time i open a zip file, if im using windows built in zip, it shift all my other tabs back to desktop, its starting to really piss me off.

    I have tried every method discussed in this forum and i can only conclude that it happens at random to random people, idk if its a bug or an underlying issue from a service i have installed.

    I don't use one drive and pretty much all other people this has happened to have said they also haven't set up one drive. Is this done on purpose because we are not using there service? and are there any new insights as to what is going on?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-03T03:59:54+00:00

    I literally have to click the back button dozens of times a day when I manage my media files (photos, videos).

    Yup, it never happens to any OneDrive folders.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-05T04:38:24+00:00

    Its not the first time Microsoft has done shady stuff to its loyal users. Everybody is switching to linix, i might be doing the same if Windows keeps going down its current path...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments