Thank you that finally worked for me- so much nicer to use I am back in control.
File Explorer keeps going to Desktop
When I browse and view files, File Explorer keeps going to Desktop by itself. It is easy to correct this by simply clicking the back button (<-). I would not mind if this happens once in a while, but it happens almost constantly, so it is a major nuisance.
For example, suppose that I am looking at pictures in folder E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo, open a picture with Photos, and use it to navigate to different photos, then File Explorer will suddenly jump to Desktop. This is almost 100% reproducible. I will have to click the back button to get back to E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo.
Could anyone offer a remedy for this?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2025-03-01T10:26:58+00:00 -
Anonymous
2025-02-19T15:49:10+00:00 Works for me.
-
Anonymous
2025-02-16T21:05:29+00:00 It absolutely boggles my mind that a company with such a head start on the WORLD is unable to make a stable product with over 30 years of development. I've always had "head scratchers" while using File Explorer (since Windows 3.11) but Present Me in 2025 is open-mouthed aghast at this sorry end state. Thanks for this tip from the community, it helped.
-
Anonymous
2024-12-05T22:12:57+00:00 I have just updated Windows 11 to 24H2 and confirmed the issue remains as expected. It increasingly looks like a permanent bug.
I could install OneCommander from the Microsoft Store after the update and rebooting. It looks great. Thank you again.
-
Anonymous
2024-12-05T00:01:22+00:00 I got my download from their website.