File Explorer keeps going to Desktop

Anonymous
2024-03-25T17:19:20+00:00

When I browse and view files, File Explorer keeps going to Desktop by itself. It is easy to correct this by simply clicking the back button (<-). I would not mind if this happens once in a while, but it happens almost constantly, so it is a major nuisance.

For example, suppose that I am looking at pictures in folder E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo, open a picture with Photos, and use it to navigate to different photos, then File Explorer will suddenly jump to Desktop. This is almost 100% reproducible. I will have to click the back button to get back to E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo.

Could anyone offer a remedy for this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T23:02:47+00:00

    Well said, John. Thank you for the tip on One Commander. I am trying to install OneCommander from Microsoft Store but it has got stuck at 'Checking system requirements..."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T20:39:13+00:00

    I am having the same issue!!! It's making me crazy!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-25T19:59:27+00:00

    This does not fix it either.

    There must be something that can be done Microsoft?!

    It's a big risk for me take days out to reinstall the entire OS when the problem might occur again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T23:24:35+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-03T01:39:53+00:00

    I have this issue too, its gotten to the point where I'm on a Microsoft forum, which is a place i never saw myself interacting with.

    This issue is now the worse pest i have had to deal with in my time, worse than a blue-screen. It happens anytime i open a .zip/.rar file, any archived folder for the matter, and being a modder, i use archived files everyday, and it happens every single time i open a zip file, if im using windows built in zip, it shift all my other tabs back to desktop, its starting to really piss me off.

    I have tried every method discussed in this forum and i can only conclude that it happens at random to random people, idk if its a bug or an underlying issue from a service i have installed.

    I don't use one drive and pretty much all other people this has happened to have said they also haven't set up one drive. Is this done on purpose because we are not using there service? and are there any new insights as to what is going on?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments