File Explorer keeps going to Desktop

Anonymous
2024-03-25T17:19:20+00:00

When I browse and view files, File Explorer keeps going to Desktop by itself. It is easy to correct this by simply clicking the back button (<-). I would not mind if this happens once in a while, but it happens almost constantly, so it is a major nuisance.

For example, suppose that I am looking at pictures in folder E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo, open a picture with Photos, and use it to navigate to different photos, then File Explorer will suddenly jump to Desktop. This is almost 100% reproducible. I will have to click the back button to get back to E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo.

Could anyone offer a remedy for this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-26T01:48:13+00:00

    I too have this issue, funnily enough also a developer with the usual suite Git VS etc. what i have observed is it happens more often when plugging in / removing a USB drive of some description. Perhaps this is a side effect of a filesystem refresh?

    Not sure what else could do it there doesnt seem to be anything untoward in the event viewer that i can tell.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-02T21:09:31+00:00

    I have finally sent the feedback: https://aka.ms/AAqookt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-20T15:45:59+00:00

    If you do report it on their Feedback Hub, can you post a link to it here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-19T13:53:51+00:00

    Yes, it is frustrating though it is manageable. It is a bearable major nuisance for me at this point.

    Yes, I do use Git in both Visual Studio and Android Studio. As one of my previous comments reported, I disabled all non-Microsoft services and startup apps and still reproduced this issue.

    A reply from the moderator suggests using Feedback Hub to report this. I have not done it. I am glad you shared your experience here. Otherwise, I might report misinformation by suggesting this is limited only to photo browsing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-18T12:20:12+00:00

    I'm having this same issue. However, I'm rarely browsing photos or the Photos folder, and it still happens to me. I'm a developer, and it often happens in the background while I'm working in a number of other applications. All File Explorer tabs will suddenly show "Desktop", and like @hipswich, I can indeed navigate with the back button to where I was before. However as you can imagine I have to have many Explorer windows/tabs open, so this causes great productivity slowdowns.

    I have no idea what triggers this.

    Followed instructions here: Using System File Checker in Windows

    Log -----------------------------------------------------------------------PS > DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.22621.2792Image Version: 10.0.22631.3447[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.PS > sfc /scannowBeginning system scan.  This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.-----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments