Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T15:14:12+00:00

    OK transferring of accounts work, but now each one of them says "action required" and asks me to scan a QR code. Where do I get this QR code from? There is no forward to any website, just asks to scan the code?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T15:27:39+00:00

    It should have populated to enter the email to your organization.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T15:54:53+00:00

    OK I figured it out. Need to sign in to MS account website, go to security and add authenticator again. Then it produces the QR code to scan. Thanks everyone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T16:08:01+00:00

    Yes! Yay, glad I could help!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-09T02:51:36+00:00

    Hi!

    I modified your response a bit and it worked for me. Note that I had installed the authenticator app on my new phone already and even had 2 applications there that I was willing to forego. They were in the old phone. And both remained in the new authenticator after the restore from back up.

    A-On new phone:

    1. I turned cloud back up off - which deleted the back up in the cloud
    2. Went to phone settings > Apps > Authenticator > and did a 'Forced stop" as you said. The forced stop just stayed grayed out. I got impatient and clicked on "uninstall"
    3. Uninstalled Authenticator
    4. Closed all open browsers

    B-On old phone:

    1. turned cloud back up off (to delete whatever is backed up - could be from the new phone which had nothing)
    2. then turned the cloud backup on again to back up the good files in the old phone's authenticator

    C-Back to new phone

    1. installed authenticator app
    2. Restored from back up*

    *Just be careful when you start the authenticator app because it was easy to miss the restore from back up, which I did at first. It is below the sign in portion of the screen. I repeated the entire step from the very beginning step A above to step C and it worked. Of course, the two MS 365 app in the app is asking me to scan the qr code from MS 365 again which was not a problem at all.

    Thank you for sharing. The "Force Stop" was the missing link on most of the instructions on the web.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments