Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T23:33:11+00:00

    Neeraj,

    Unless the Microsoft Authenticator app is badly corrupted, it's typically easier to simply open the app, select the Microsoft account listed that was installed first by mistake, then select the gear icon in the upper-right-had corner of that screen and click "Remove Account' which clears that portion of the app information.

    This has the same basic effect as clearing the cache, after which you simply restart the app or the entire phone to ensure everything related to the account is gone before following the Restore procedure correctly.

    Only if that option doesn't exist would I bother to use your 'hammer' approach to try and obliterate everything related to the app, which really wasn't the problem here in the first place. It's not following instructions, or more likely knowing they existed, that typically results in this problem.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T17:59:56+00:00

    SO Damned crazy, this **** will not transfer. New phone all **** still on the old phone but can't get it moved. NO Option to restore the backup. Just more **** from Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-18T02:09:53+00:00

    I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

    1. On Your First Device (Backup Source)
      • Ensure backup is enabled in the app’s settings.
      • Make sure the backup has synced completely to the cloud.
    2. On Your Second Device (Restore Target)
      • Uninstall the app.
      • Reinstall it from the official store.
      • Accept the privacy policy but do not log in.
      • Choose the last option or the third option to "Restore from Backup."

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-18T13:36:48+00:00

    Yes, that worked. Microsoft and so many other idiot app designers have their heads up their asses and have NO Idea how the Real World Works!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T15:01:25+00:00

    I actually has the same issue what I did that finally worked bc it showed my accounts on the app. I opened the app clicked the 3 dots on the right. Clicked on settings and then scrolled down to where it said device registration. I clicked on that and then it recognized my new device. All that was left to do was uninstall the app from my old device. So far so good. Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments