Just remove your Microsoft account from Authenticator on your new phone and you will get back to the point where you can restore from the backup from your old phone.
Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)
I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2024-10-09T13:00:43+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-10-15T08:05:37+00:00 this works for me!
-
Anonymous
2024-10-18T11:03:52+00:00 Instead of uninstalling, what I did was to clear application data.
On my device (Samsung):- Press and hold app icon
- Tap on 'i' icon to go to app info
- Storage
- Wipe/clear cache and data.
Done. You have now a brand new installed app.
At the time of writing, I could not find a loggout method within the app.Thanks for step by step on how to recover. UI was not that great.
-
Anonymous
2024-10-21T18:16:10+00:00 Perfect !!
Nice one!!
-
Anonymous
2024-11-22T17:20:30+00:00 yes, choosing restore before sign in works for me too.
from ux perspective, the design of the microsoft authenticator is horrible, that many people cannot get immediately when they move from old phone to new phone.. and its not intuitive at all that: you need to login in order to backup. BUT you should not login in order to restore.. whoever design this app should do more user research rather than just follow instruction from product manager who may not understand ux properly...