Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-21T13:54:51+00:00

    This topic helped me backup my keys to another MS Authenticator app on a different phone.

    In addition I was also able to extract the keys and export them to Aegis Authenticator app using this guide: https://gist.github.com/chowder/2ead734d60d84d4d15034fcce81aaaf9 This required a rooted android emulator with a play store, but that is the only way that I know off to export keys to a non Microsoft app.

    Additionally Aegis can also import Google Authenticator QR codes which most Authenticator apps cannot read. And it can even import Authenticator QR codes from an image file, so you don't need a camera and can use a screenshot image instead. Aegis exports standard QR codes that all Authenticator apps work with.

    The reason I exported them is so I no longer have to use Google or Microsoft apps that force users to stay in their ecosystem. I exported some codes to a secure pin protected airgapped hardware authenticator as a secure backup in case my phone breaks or gets lost.
    Remember: 2 factor increases your chance of losing access to your account. Always backup your second factor or add an additional alternative second factor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-27T15:06:01+00:00

    I just did this (because I also missed it initially) and it worked. Once you do remove account, it gives the 'Restore Backup' at the bottom and I was able to successfully get everything from my old phone.

    Thanks for posting!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-15T14:32:31+00:00

    I followed the steps removed Authenticator on my new device and reinstalled and selected Restore Backup Option.. I was able to restore the account however each account shows a message "Action Required" and the action is to "Scan the QR Code provided by your Organization to finish recovering this account".. Do I need to connect with each of these accounts and basically recreate them or what am I missing here?

    Thanks..

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-21T22:34:05+00:00

    The solution is to use Google authenticator

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-26T07:14:44+00:00

    That worked for me. Thank you very much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments