That will be the route or option that you can go to to be able to recover or retrieve it from the backup that you made.
Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)
I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2024-03-11T21:17:10+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-03-11T21:38:52+00:00 Yes, that was my initial inquiry. Apart from uninstalling and reinstalling, is there any other method available considering I'm already logged in at this point?
I've seen some other suggestions that appear more like ripping the data out from under the Authenticator like clearing the app's data and cache, but based on this Microsoft Authenticator Q&A, the best method is likely to click the Microsoft account on the main Authenticator screen, then click the 'Settings' gear in the upper right-hand corner, then click the Remove account button displayed there.
Common questions about the Microsoft Authenticator app - Microsoft Support
What I'm uncertain about and couldn't find a clear answer for, is whether the previously setup Microsoft account might cause any problems on the server end of the connection. Assuming that recovering the previous Authenticator data to the phone includes the private key along with all of the individual Microsoft and other accounts originally setup, that should reset the phone end just fine, but I'm not sure how the server end of this relates to that, though if it just uses your Authenticator's public key, then I guess that should work fine.
The other thing I'm unsure of is how you'll know which Authenticator backup to restore, which if you hadn't set that back up using the new phone yet, should obviously be from the old phone. If both backups exist, I don't know if it will offer them by name or only offer the new one that matches, so pay attention to that to ensure you choose the old one that contains the accounts.
I'd also make sure you have multiple other backup verification options set like phone number (text), alternate email address and even recovery code to ensure you don't get locked out if something goes wrong.
I did this process the 'right' way when I replaced my phone recently, since I always read before I do, but I understand how you can end up in this situation, so I'm surprised there isn't more about this issue that's easy to find, but I sure couldn't.
Rob
-
Anonymous
2024-03-11T22:27:09+00:00 This makes a statement that you carry out the recovery before sign-in of your Microsoft account.
To recover your information
- On your mobile device, open the Authenticator app, and select Begin recovery. **Important:**Select the Begin recovery link before signing in.
- Sign in to your recovery account using the personal Microsoft account you used during the backup process. Your account credentials are recovered to the new device.
Back up and recover account credentials in the Authenticator app - Microsoft Support
-
Anonymous
2024-05-02T08:16:36+00:00 Hi, I just had the same issue and I couldn't log in to my work account as it was asking security code and couldn't see notification in the authenticator app (must have been going to the old phone....) endless loop! I believe the only solution is to reset manually all the accounts.
What I did:
- disable the Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) in my work account (outlook)
- then sign in in my work account: it will then ask to setup MFA and will send you to the microsoft authenticator app to setup
- work account is then visible on microsoft app and should work as it should.
hope that helps
Riko
-
Anonymous
2024-07-20T20:09:05+00:00 I had the same issue and I found a way around it.
On my old phone, I performed a backup of my accounts (Top right menu > Settings > Cloud Backup).
Then on my new phone:
- I forced-stop Authenticator (Settings > Applications > Authenticator > Force stop)
- For good measure, I also flushed the cache for Authenticator (in the same section as the Force stop option)
- I then used Edge to log on to my Microsoft account and then immediately log out. No reason why you couldn't use Chrome to do that as well
- I also made sure to force-stop any other Microsoft application that might be running at the time and using my Microsoft credentials (in my case, both Outlook and Teams)
- I started Authenticator again, and it was as if I had freshly installed it. After asking me to allow/disallow notifications and sending logs to MS, it offered me to log on to my account, but at the bottom of the screen there was an option to restore from a backup
- I followed the instructions, and all my accounts wound up transferred to the new device.
Hope this may help someone.