Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T22:50:58+00:00

    This worked perfectly for me, thank you! You can also uninstall/reinstall the app to have it forcefully take you back to the setup screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T13:27:02+00:00

    I managed (finally) to solve the issue in this way:

    1. I went to my Microsoft account security info page: https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info
    2. I added the sign-in method via authenticator app (Select "Add sign-in method" and select "Authenticator App")
    3. By following the wizard the wished QR code appeared. In my new phone I opened my account and scanned the QR code.

    Ta-da! The account was set up!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T13:13:29+00:00

    I guess this is for Android phones. Those options are not available in iOS

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-26T07:14:44+00:00

    That worked for me. Thank you very much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-21T22:34:05+00:00

    The solution is to use Google authenticator

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments