Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T11:03:52+00:00

    Instead of uninstalling, what I did was to clear application data.
    On my device (Samsung):

    • Press and hold app icon
    • Tap on 'i' icon to go to app info
    • Storage
    • Wipe/clear cache and data.

    Done. You have now a brand new installed app.
    At the time of writing, I could not find a loggout method within the app.

    Thanks for step by step on how to recover. UI was not that great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T08:05:37+00:00

    this works for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-09T13:00:43+00:00

    Just remove your Microsoft account from Authenticator on your new phone and you will get back to the point where you can restore from the backup from your old phone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-21T21:04:28+00:00

    Ok, I had the same problem. Moving from an older android phone to a new release (old one couldn't be upgraded - Avoid moto Motorola Phones!!!). Anyway I got a new one and am manually migrating apps across; what a pain. Anyway, when I got the the Authenticator I had this issue. Well, if you have it working on a phone, make sure it is backed up with your Microsoft account. Then delete and do a fresh install on the new device and Select the RESTORE option before signing in. Then sign in with your Microsoft account and it will load just fine. Worked for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-20T05:14:22+00:00

    Yes, delete the cache and the data from Authenticator on the new device and you will be able to restore (assuming you still have the old device to authenticate to the account with). And then it won't work, because you don't have some QR code.

    I will never trust any microsoft security system again. Completely incompetence not to actually let backup work, or to provide a menu item for restore!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments