Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-03T20:05:37+00:00

    Just be aware that the backup and restore on the Microsoft Authenticator is fundamentally broken for IT Admin use. The backup will only work for up to around 60 accounts before it just stops backing up. There is no fix or workaround for this, Microsoft has been aware of it for years and has done nothing. There needs to be either the ability to back up hundreds or even thousands of accounts, either automatically or a one off dump to OneDrive (business) or the ability to do a direct transfer from one device to another like Google Authenticator can do. I have been forced to maintain a second device and duplicate MFA registration on each of them rather than risk losing access to every account I have added in the past 18m.

    A BIT of I.T.,

    While trying to determine how to properly fix this problem for my earlier post i this thread, I ran into this Entra Blog article that details how the back and restore processes work, though I don't immediately see anything about a limit.

    How it works: Backup and restore for Microsoft Authenticator | Microsoft Community Hub

    Maybe something in the article will stand out to you, though it's possible this issue is really just some sort of either timeout or capacity limit relating to whatever they're using within the Google Android or iPhone iChain backup storage.

    You didn't mention which type of phone you're using, since I'd guess it's probable the issue is related to a characteristic of that particular device's storage limitations. This is probably one of the reasons I've noticed that they don't even seem to recommend trying to backup and restore for individual users and instead suggest simply resetting their MFA setting to allow setting that up again.

    They'll likely run into this problem even worse with the new passkey addition to the Authenticator, so I'm guessing they'll have to fix this problem there even for many consumers, since its very similar to the TOTP Key backup requirements.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-03T10:25:40+00:00

    Just be aware that the backup and restore on the Microsoft Authenticator is fundamentally broken for IT Admin use. The backup will only work for up to around 60 accounts before it just stops backing up. There is no fix or workaround for this, Microsoft has been aware of it for years and has done nothing. There needs to be either the ability to back up hundreds or even thousands of accounts, either automatically or a one off dump to OneDrive (business) or the ability to do a direct transfer from one device to another like Google Authenticator can do. I have been forced to maintain a second device and duplicate MFA registration on each of them rather than risk losing access to every account I have added in the past 18m.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-27T00:19:48+00:00

    this worked!

    the best method is likely to click the Microsoft account on the main Authenticator screen, then click the 'Settings' gear in the upper right-hand corner, then click the Remove account button displayed there.

    Then at the sign-in screen ignore sign-in and click recover backup.

    :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-22T17:20:30+00:00

    yes, choosing restore before sign in works for me too.

    from ux perspective, the design of the microsoft authenticator is horrible, that many people cannot get immediately when they move from old phone to new phone.. and its not intuitive at all that: you need to login in order to backup. BUT you should not login in order to restore.. whoever design this app should do more user research rather than just follow instruction from product manager who may not understand ux properly...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-21T18:16:10+00:00

    Perfect !!

    Nice one!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments