Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T15:14:12+00:00

    OK transferring of accounts work, but now each one of them says "action required" and asks me to scan a QR code. Where do I get this QR code from? There is no forward to any website, just asks to scan the code?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-18T13:36:48+00:00

    Yes, that worked. Microsoft and so many other idiot app designers have their heads up their asses and have NO Idea how the Real World Works!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T17:59:56+00:00

    SO Damned crazy, this **** will not transfer. New phone all **** still on the old phone but can't get it moved. NO Option to restore the backup. Just more **** from Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-22T17:20:30+00:00

    yes, choosing restore before sign in works for me too.

    from ux perspective, the design of the microsoft authenticator is horrible, that many people cannot get immediately when they move from old phone to new phone.. and its not intuitive at all that: you need to login in order to backup. BUT you should not login in order to restore.. whoever design this app should do more user research rather than just follow instruction from product manager who may not understand ux properly...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T11:03:52+00:00

    Instead of uninstalling, what I did was to clear application data.
    On my device (Samsung):

    • Press and hold app icon
    • Tap on 'i' icon to go to app info
    • Storage
    • Wipe/clear cache and data.

    Done. You have now a brand new installed app.
    At the time of writing, I could not find a loggout method within the app.

    Thanks for step by step on how to recover. UI was not that great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments