Transferring Microsoft Authenticator to a New Device (Already Signed In)

Anonymous
2024-03-11T14:45:25+00:00

I encountered an issue while upgrading my phone and transferring all accounts to the new device. Despite logging into my Microsoft Authenticator account on the new device, I noticed that my profiles didn't transfer. Following online instructions, I backed up to the cloud. However, as I'm already logged in on the new device, I can't locate the prompt to restore from backup nor find the option to log out to access this link. Should I uninstall and reinstall the app, or is there another solution I might be overlooking? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-21T22:34:05+00:00

    The solution is to use Google authenticator

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T22:27:09+00:00

    This makes a statement that you carry out the recovery before sign-in of your Microsoft account.

    To recover your information

    1. On your mobile device, open the Authenticator app, and select Begin recovery. **Important:**Select the Begin recovery link before signing in.
    2. Sign in to your recovery account using the personal Microsoft account you used during the backup process. Your account credentials are recovered to the new device.

    Back up and recover account credentials in the Authenticator app - Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T20:38:51+00:00

    I do understand that and if you are somewhat unable to logout then you can try to uninstall and reinstall the authenticator app and try it again from the start without adding an account to be able to retrieve it from the backup that you previously made.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T20:49:05+00:00

    Yes, that was my initial inquiry. Apart from uninstalling and reinstalling, is there any other method available considering I'm already logged in at this point?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-02T08:16:36+00:00

    Hi, I just had the same issue and I couldn't log in to my work account as it was asking security code and couldn't see notification in the authenticator app (must have been going to the old phone....) endless loop! I believe the only solution is to reset manually all the accounts.

    What I did:

    • disable the Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) in my work account (outlook)
    • then sign in in my work account: it will then ask to setup MFA and will send you to the microsoft authenticator app to setup
    • work account is then visible on microsoft app and should work as it should.

    hope that helps

    Riko

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments