Hi!
I modified your response a bit and it worked for me. Note that I had installed the authenticator app on my new phone already and even had 2 applications there that I was willing to forego. They were in the old phone. And both remained in the new authenticator after the restore from back up.
A-On new phone:
- I turned cloud back up off - which deleted the back up in the cloud
- Went to phone settings > Apps > Authenticator > and did a 'Forced stop" as you said. The forced stop just stayed grayed out. I got impatient and clicked on "uninstall"
- Uninstalled Authenticator
- Closed all open browsers
B-On old phone:
- turned cloud back up off (to delete whatever is backed up - could be from the new phone which had nothing)
- then turned the cloud backup on again to back up the good files in the old phone's authenticator
C-Back to new phone
- installed authenticator app
- Restored from back up*
*Just be careful when you start the authenticator app because it was easy to miss the restore from back up, which I did at first. It is below the sign in portion of the screen. I repeated the entire step from the very beginning step A above to step C and it worked. Of course, the two MS 365 app in the app is asking me to scan the qr code from MS 365 again which was not a problem at all.
Thank you for sharing. The "Force Stop" was the missing link on most of the instructions on the web.