I like the new scrollbar size, I think the size fits better to the size of the other elements on screen.
If you have problems with the size of elements including the scrollbar you can also use the scaling feature (in settings -> system -> display) to make everything bigger.
Why is the scroll bar in Windows 11 so narrow? In what world is this an improvement?
I wish I had blocked the forced "upgrade" to Windows 11.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
50 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2025-06-05T11:36:25+00:00 -
Anonymous
2025-06-04T13:50:00+00:00 When it comes to unnecessary and even harmful changes, the defense is, "you'll get used to it."
Very frustrating.
-
Anonymous
2025-06-04T13:25:21+00:00 Scroll bars are still the shortest way to get to the bottom of a long document. You'll get an RSI from a scroll wheel. As usual, Microsoft designs for a single user type instead of recognizing that there are a vast number of types and they all have different needs or preferences. But everyone has to be hammered into the same shape hole. Windows used to be flexible, but Microsoft is removing more and more options in a bid to be just like Apple -- forget what you think you need, this is what you are allowed to have. The fact that you are even being asked this question indicates that there are use cases that require a scroll bar, and you've left them out in the cold. If I have to edit the registry to do such a simple thing, you failed.
-
Anonymous
2025-05-29T13:42:20+00:00 Some of us with disabilities cannot use a mouse with a wheel and need to utilize the scroll bar when using mouse alternatives.
I am so disappointed that Microsoft does not consider this an accessibility issue and have an option for customization.
This may limit my ability to have gainful employment if I cannot find a solution!
-
Anonymous
2025-05-28T01:28:31+00:00 I want to thank everyone for adding these comments - this is unexpected. I did indeed try editing the registry. Unfortunately I found it affected only those apps that were not really a problem. The worst offenders were not affected at all, the narrowest of the scroll bars stayed exactly as they were. I am guessing the problem arose because these programs set the scroll bar width to a certain number of pixels, and on a 4K screen it is just not adequate.
Possibly this will catch someone's attention at Microsoft...