How do I get my Microsoft account back after it getting hacked?

Reported
Anonymous
2024-06-20T15:39:47+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community,

I'm reaching out for urgent help with my hacked Microsoft account. Despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to regain access to my account and am feeling quite frustrated and helpless.

Here's a summary of the steps I've taken so far: I first noticed unusual activity on my account and realized it had been hacked. I tried contacting Microsoft Support through email and phone but did not receive a resolution. The phone calls only connected me to bots, and there was no option to speak with an actual person. I meticulously filled out the account recovery form, providing every detail requested. Unfortunately, the response stated that I didn't provide enough proof, even though I included all the information asked for in the form.

I wanted to include some details of my own, like screenshots proving my ownership and showing that I have had access to it for many years. Additionally, I have previous communications, purchase receipts, and other relevant data that could help verify my identity. However, the recovery form did not allow for this.

I'm feeling quite frustrated as this account is crucial for me, and I am at a loss on how to proceed further.

As a last resort, I am considering contacting the police and the GDPR authorities to request Microsoft to delete all my information and permanently delete the account to prevent any misuse of my data.

Could someone from the community or a Microsoft representative guide me on what further steps I can take? Are there any alternative methods or additional support channels that might be more effective?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T16:23:05+00:00

    As a last resort, I am considering contacting the police and the GDPR authorities to request Microsoft to delete all my information and permanently delete the account to prevent any misuse of my data.

    Won't matter. The attacker can make a copy of all the information in your Microsoft account (and certainly has by now).

    Please consider this: The attacker knows everything about you that is in your Microsoft account. If your name and address is there, the attacker knows it. If your payment card information is there, the attacker has it. They have contact information for all the contacts stored in your Microsoft account.

    Did you store passwords in Microsoft Edge? (I hope you didn't.) The attacker now knows those passwords. Was there any sensitive or confidential information in files you were storing in OneDrive? The attacker now knows it all. How about your Microsoft Authenticator app - the attacker can use it. You're getting the idea, right?

    The attacker can do anything that you can do with the information in your Microsoft account. Nobody on the internet knows whether it's really you. If someone presents your name and your address to an online merchant, and pays with your credit card information, then as far as the merchant is concerned, you bought it.

    When your contacts receive phishing email from your email account, which they have trusted for years, how can they know that it wasn't you who actually sent it?

    Are you sure you want to regain control of that Microsoft account, now that it can be used against you - if it hasn't already? I think you should want to put as much distance between your hacked account and yourself as you can. Change those passwords. Cancel those card accounts. Get new email addresses and warn your contacts not to open any mail from your former address. Take action ASAP, so the information in your attacker's hands is worthless to them.

    0 comments No comments
  2. John Jefferson Doyon 88,610 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-06-20T20:11:07+00:00

    Hi Titan, I am John J.D., a fellow Microsoft user like you.

    I understand your frustration about what happened. The community is public, and it's beyond our capability to assist directly with account or login-related issues. I'm here to provide information as a fellow Microsoft user.

    The best course of action is to immediately contact Microsoft support via live chat and inform them that your account was hacked. If the account alias has been changed, you can ask the Microsoft support agent about the possibility of transferring your data, including game data and purchases, to a new account.

    To reach Microsoft Support, you can use any active personal Microsoft account that you currently have access to. If you don't have another email account available, you can create a temporary Outlook account for free.

    https://outlook.live.com/owa/

    Here is the link: https://support.microsoft.com/home/contact

    > Type this keyword and press Enter: Contact Support.

    > At the bottom, click "Sign in to contact support" and sign in with your personal Microsoft account, or click "Contact Support" if you're already signed in.

    > In Product and services, select "Windows".

    > In Category, select "Technical support."

    > Click "Chat with a support agent in your web browser".

    If you encountered further difficulties opening a live support chat, please let me know by clicking "Reply" below.

    John J.D.

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-13T09:28:07+00:00

    The account that has been hacked austin_******@hotmail.com

    I cannot verify the account because my phone number was changed and my password

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-20T17:04:59+00:00

    Thank you for your response, Chien Sage.

    I understand the risks involved, and I appreciate your advice. However, I'd like to clarify a few points:

    Account Creation and Access: The Microsoft account in question was created using my Gmail account, which has not been compromised. I still have full access to this Gmail account, and I have used it to communicate with Microsoft in my recovery attempts. This, along with other detailed information I provided, should be sufficient proof of my ownership.

    Importance of the Account: The Microsoft account contains crucial data and access to services that are vital for my daily activities.

    Authenticator App Compromise: Unfortunately, the account was hacked through the authenticator app due to a mistake on my part. I'm aware of the security lapse and have taken steps to secure my other accounts and prevent further issues.

    While I understand the possibility that the attacker might have copied my information, my primary goal is to regain control of the account to prevent any further misuse and to recover important data. Additionally, having access to the account will allow me to properly notify my contacts and safeguard them against potential phishing attempts.

    I appreciate your concern and suggestions. If regaining control proves unfeasible or unsafe, I will consider contacting the police and GDPR authorities to request the deletion of my information from Microsoft's servers.

    Thank you again for your input.

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-22T18:38:59+00:00

    I cant log in since he locked my account

    0 comments No comments