My graphics drivers are updated. I'm on a Asus X200M laptop, so there is no graphics card.
How do I keep my mouse from leaving the window on FPS games?
So, when I'm playing any FPS games (or games that use the mouse to track the game environment), my mouse cursor goes invisible. However, instead of being locked to the center of the screen, it moves around freely, to the point where i have accidently minimized or closed out of my game. Also worth mentioning, this is on a laptop, not a multiple screen PC.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I've exhausted my sources of research and none of them helped.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2024-08-11T17:51:19+00:00 -
Quinn.HP 9,755 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-08-12T01:56:59+00:00 Unfortunately, this is the best of my knowledge. I will reroute your ticket to other experts.
-
Anonymous
2024-08-12T10:38:52+00:00 Ok, I appreciate the help!
-
Anonymous
2024-08-14T07:44:05+00:00 Hi JB Bailey,
Welcome to Microsoft Community.
Based on the original description, the device seems to be experiencing issues related to the unexpected cursor movement.
In most cases, the ideas shared by other community members in this thread work, such as changing the game mode (fullscreen mode, borderless mode), reinstalling a different version of the driver, or even third-party software.
If they don't work, it could mean that there is something interfering or that there may be an anomaly in the components of the system that are used to handle mouse behavior, such as an unknown corruption.
To minimize other software-level distractions, you may need to configure a relatively clean environment, such as a new profile or clean boot.
Is the situation the same when you observe it in a relatively clean environment (for example, new local account, safe mode, clean boot)?
- Create a local user or administrator account in Windows - Microsoft Support
- Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. It can be used to determine whether a background service or program is interfering or causing a problem.
These steps of "clean boot" might look complicated at first glance. However, to avoid any trouble for you, please follow them in order and step-by-step.
Please be careful not to disable any services that may be related to security credentials or security authentication, such as TPM, Security, Credential.
As for the drivers themselves, sometimes, the latest version of a driver is somehow similar to an "outdated" driver, it may conflict with a particular version of the game/graphics API.
If this is not a problem that has existed since you have been using Windows, you can try performing some tests on the driver, such as clean install of the mouse drivers or graphics drivers, and then installing different version of the driver.
- Microsoft Basic Display Driver - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn IHV means Independent Hardware Vendor.
- Examples of choosing different types of drivers
- The content in the following link mentioned the tool for cleaning up the graphics driver. How to Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to Uninstall an... (intel.com) Download Intel Drivers and Software
Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.
If I misunderstand your situation, feel free to correct me and share the information.
Best Regards,
Kyo.Y - MSFT | Microsoft Community Technical Support
- Create a local user or administrator account in Windows - Microsoft Support
-
Anonymous
2024-08-15T22:16:39+00:00 I'm pretty sure you understand the problem, however I would like to be more specific just to rule out some of the possibilities.
When I'm playing a shooter game (or any game where the mouse turns invisible and is locked in the middle of the screen), my mouse freely moves, while still invisible, around the game window. It doesn't go off the screen, as I have a single screen laptop. I have tried a clean boot and it doesn't seem like background programs are the problem and I have also made sure my drivers are up to date.
If this helps, please get back to me when you have a chance.
Talk soon, JB