How do I keep my mouse from leaving the window on FPS games?

Anonymous
2024-08-10T15:11:05+00:00

So, when I'm playing any FPS games (or games that use the mouse to track the game environment), my mouse cursor goes invisible. However, instead of being locked to the center of the screen, it moves around freely, to the point where i have accidently minimized or closed out of my game. Also worth mentioning, this is on a laptop, not a multiple screen PC.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I've exhausted my sources of research and none of them helped.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-24T13:50:33+00:00

    This seems to be an increasing issue - many MANY gamers are experiencing this and the "enableLUA" trick does not seem to work anymore.

    Can I ask that this be escullated as its literally a game-stopper.

    To clarify, when we are playing first person perspective games and we're moving the mouse left and right to look around the mouse cursor drifts onto the second monitor despite the game screen being in focus. It doesn't matter if the game screen is exclusive full screen or window borderless, the mouse will still drift onto the second monitor. And should we need to press the mouse button to activate something in the game, it will click Outside of the game window.

    This seems to have happened in a recent windows update and there are thousands upon thousands of gamers with this issue it needs to be prioritised. It needs to be fixed.

    It's nothing to do with having to download the latest video drivers because we've all tried that it does not make a difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-08T03:25:40+00:00

    To rephrase this question;

    FPS games in particular locks the mouse to the center of the screen so the mouse wont glide across the screen and end up on another monitor. Something that interferes with this mouse locking causes the mouse to cease to lock to the center of the screen during the gameplay that initiates this function.

    As we ask this question to fix this broken function that is caused by Windows 10/11, the only answers we get is to use other software or update drivers. The fact that this function in the game is broken on the operating system is not caused by outdated drivers or the game files have been changes, it is actually the windows system not allowing this function to work or be processed correctly.

    It is simple, mouse locks to center of screen and not by entire window during gameplay that initiates this function. Windows does not recognize this function in games and prevents it from running, causing the mouse to no longer be locked. 3rd-Party Software lock the mouse to the entire window and does not entirely fix the issue and is only a temporary fix. Updating drivers will not repair this as they are for the mouse function and not the system process.

    What we ask is, how do we repair the function so Windows will recognize the game command to lock the mouse to the center of the screen in a small box (typically a 1x1x1x1 square in the center of the screen) and to finally stop getting the basic standard answers that have been provided for years that never fixes the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-16T03:13:15+00:00

    I recently started to get this issue. I've been using DMT, which provides an exclusive screen lock. It helps to some extent, it's more of a "band-aid" it doesn't fix the core problem which is the cursor still moves freely behind the game window, causing confusion, especially when opening maps or using selection wheels in-game. My cursor ends up in a random part of the screen instead of being auto centered like before.

    I have been trying to find a solution but have had no luck. please if anyone finds a solution post it up

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-25T02:38:39+00:00

    are you on windows 11? this is now happening to me but all I did was upgrade to windows 11. when I was on windows 10 it was great. I am temped to go back to windows 10 just for this reason.

    I wonder if it has something to do with copilot.

    hope there is a fix soon or I am going back to windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-16T22:37:49+00:00

    I also have had this issue for a while now. It works when Xbox game bar isn't on, I don't know if that is the same for you but as soon as I open game bar it stops working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments