Print Screen key doesn't work on my Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-08-21T21:21:10+00:00

It has been working for a long time. Ever since there's been update. Updates were automatically. It messed up the application. How do I make my printscreen button to work again?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-09T13:05:16+00:00

    I just came across this article where everything I did it would just capture both monitors and even the alt + prt scn would not work. For me it was because I has Logi+ Options installed it overrode the windows settings so even though I had use print screen key to open screen capture on it would not work.

    Going into Logi+ Options and and changing the print screen to just print screen fixed it for me.

    Amazing.

    Wonderful thinking around the box. Just shows how companies can do things but without communicating it change something entirely for users.

    And I wonder why they felt the need to change.

    To use their own software to harvest the image data?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-09T13:02:02+00:00

    No one actually wants a workaround from a single button to multiple button combinations, or opening specific apps.

    It's not a fix to a problem, and should onl be mentioned in the same breath as "until it's fixed"

    I currently have two windows 11 devices.

    Both on the same build. 26100.2894 (24H2).

    One print screen button works great as expected.

    The other just flashes when the button is pushed and doesn't save the screenshot.

    Both have been rebooted.

    Both "use the print screen key to open screen capture"

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-12T13:37:25+00:00

    Ok. This is maybe a good solution that might work for others. I "right-click" in the screen and select "screen shot." That gives me the selection tool.

    Problem Solved!

    I hope this helps other people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-06T19:01:03+00:00

    Oh Paul, that's very clever of you to discover how to turn off the new use of the Print screen key which opens screen capture! But it's even better than the results you describe. At least on my laptop running Windows 11. When I turn off Open Screen Capture, I can indeed get back to the previous function IF I use Windows key with Print Screen key, then it takes a full screenshot of my.... well, full screen ... and lets me know this by momentarily dimming the screen, and also AUTOMATICALLY saves that screenshot to the default Screenshots folder inside the Pictures folder, just like it used to do. I use this method so frequently in doing research or artwork that I actually have stickers on those two keys on my old Win 10 PC, so I can see or even feel those 2 keys at a glance. Now I can put the same two stickers on my Win 11 laptop! btw, the stickers I use, in case anyone wonders, are actually old school reinforcement stickers (the round circles used on 3-hole looseleaf paper to repair or prevent the holes from ripping apart. I don't remove the center of the stickers, so I have full round bright white circles on a black keyboard, they stand out like a sore thumb! Just what I want. lol.)
    Thanks so much, Paul for figuring this out :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-02T11:50:41+00:00

    Thank you, that's really helpful. And do you happen to know how to make the screenshot of one screen only, when I have multiple screens connected?

    Thanks so much.

    Maria

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments