Copying Program Files doesn't help. After a clean installation all the programs need to be reinstalled because there are references to the program in the registry which will be lost during clean install. You may backup AppData though.
Trying to repair Windows with DISM, but running into Error Code 2.
Recently, I have had my harddrive begin failing to the point where I could only get to the welcome screen, but not to the desktop, after which I tried to repair it, but it begun failing faster, so I quickly used Linux Mint's GDDRescue to copy everything I could, as I didn't get an opportunity to back everything up on the cloud. (Only about 50MBs of data was lost; All previous methods such as Clonezilla and other cloning software have failed.)
Now, I did manage to get everything from the D: drive and the C: drive, which is amazing, but Windows didn't seem to work even after multiple chkdsk with all kinds of handles, such as /f, /r, /x and etc. This disk holds a lot of programs, that are no longer available on the market (Older versions of Photoshop, Games, Vegas Pro and so on), so it is in my best interest to repair Windows to get back to it.
After that, I could reliably get to the same point as before - lock screen (the one with time, that you need to pull up to make it display the pincode part). Although, this time, this is what happened:
- I would try to press buttons and pull the time/date thing up, but it would just drop back down and not allow me to do anything.
- I tried to enter Windows' Recovery Environment, which resulted in a restart and a blue screen saying "recovery" and that my system needs to be repaired, so I created a Windows Installation USB to enter the Recovery Environment from it.
- Automatic Repair was out of the question immediately, it would fail right away.
- I would try to use all bootrec commands (fixboot, fixmbr, scanos, rebuildbcd and so on), but every time I would get to rebuildbcd or scanos, it would ALWAYS recognize that the Windows is installed on the needed partition, but on rebuildbcd question of "Do you want to add this installation to the boot?" (Something along those lines), it would always give me an error of "The requested system device is not found".
- And so begun the gauntlet of troubles.
Things that failed:
- Getting into Windows' own Recovery Mode/Running an Automatic repair. (Upon restarting, it provides yet another error on a blue screen saying "Recovery")
- Running chkdsk. (With any handles)
- Bootrec /rebuildbcd (After confirming, it gives out an error)
- sfc /scannow. (Yes, even specifying the directories)
- Bootedit/BootBCD commands.
Things that are definitely not broken:
-The new drive (It is a brand new Samsung 1TB SSD, checked, in perfect condition)
- Files system (Multiple chkdsks were run to confirm it)
- Registry (Files are completely intact and it boots into Windows lockscreen to begin with)
I've tried almost everything and now I have two options left: Repair Windows by inputting a source image from the USB drive (correct me if I am wrong) or repair DISM Error Code: 2 to be able to repair the disk as many guides and posts on these forums point to.
The main question is, what should I do from this point? Any details - I can provide, I have been trying for 3 days now.
EDIT: I do have my hands on a harddrive, from which I am currently running another Windows instance, WITHIN the same PC, I DO have a bootable USB device and if needed, a DVD/CD.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2024-10-07T04:40:51+00:00 Alright, I tried every possible combination with and without the old graphics card, as well as plugging into the motherboard with no GPU. Nothing changed.
One thing that I noticed is that using Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B brings the login screen BACK from this black screen with cursor. (Obviously, still cannot access the log-in part)
What should I do now? Also, there is some additional context I can provide as to what happens, but I am not sure if it is relevant. Should I write it down anyway? It has to do with the difference in cursor/Your PC couldn't shut down/start up properly screens, new things in the System.evtx file and so on.
-
Anonymous
2024-10-07T03:59:02+00:00 Yes, I have tried the other startup options. They sure work (such as in, visually), but nothing changes in terms of the issue.
I am currently using a GTX 1650 and a somewhat new ASUS monitor. However, if some testing is needed - I can use different cables (VGA/HDMI/Display), a different graphics card, another monitor or try to plug it via VGA into the Motherboard.
What do you say I should do?
This might be primarily a drivers issue. I think using a different graphics card is a good idea. Remove the graphics card and use the onboard port if possible.
-
Anonymous
2024-10-07T03:55:22+00:00 Yes, I have tried the other startup options. They sure work (such as in, visually), but nothing changes in terms of the issue.
I am currently using a GTX 1650 and a somewhat new ASUS monitor. However, if some testing is needed - I can use different cables (VGA/HDMI/Display), a different graphics card, another monitor or try to plug it via VGA into the Motherboard.
What do you say I should do?
-
Anonymous
2024-10-07T03:16:51+00:00 Display drivers may be the issue.
The NvContainerLocalSystem service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 6000 milliseconds: Перезапуск службы.
The NvContainerLocalSystem service terminated with the following error:
A generic command executable returned a result that indicates failure.
A pointer device has no information about the monitor it is attached to.
Have you tried other startup options, especially #3, #6, and #7: https://support.content.office.net/en-us/media/9f0098dc-249e-48e0-a54d-dda7ce2720bc.png