Windows 11 24H2 update kb5044284 fails on reboot at 40%, error 0x800f0922 - SOLVED, page 5

Anonymous
2024-10-09T15:01:11+00:00

Using Windows 11 24H2 26100.1742, got the update for KB5044284.

This downloaded and extracted fine, then restarted the PC. The update got to the 30% and restarted. On the reboot the update continued until 40%, when it hung for about 8 minutes, then gave an error message (with no reference) and rolled back.

Windows Update in Settings App shows Error 0x800f0922.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-24T10:30:08+00:00

    OK.

    I cannot help, as I am nothing to do with MS.

    It looks like we will all have to wait until they sort this out. However, they don't seem to be taking much interest in our problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-24T10:39:58+00:00

    The thing I don't understand is why I can update Windows Defender or .Net framework without any problems.

    I opened a ticket with Microsoft, first level support couldn't fix it and escalated to second level.

    I have an appointment with them in a few days.

    I doubt they'll be able to fix it, but I hope I'm wrong. I don't want reinstalling Windows from scratch, it would take too long to reinstall everything that's there now.

    If I have any news I'll update you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-24T10:55:28+00:00

    I will be very interested in how you get on with them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-29T10:04:39+00:00

    I finally managed to chat to Microsoft's second level support. The technician says that the problem was the manual installation of the 24H2 update because it probably wasn't ready for my computer yet otherwise the update would have been available on Windows Update. I'm not very convinced by the explanation because the computer is quite recent, in any case I can't go back to the previous build because the needed files are no longer there and the only way to restore is a clean Windows installation that would take me a long time. I was hoping for an analysis of the Windows Update logs that didn't happen. For now I've suspended the windows update check, one day I'll reinstall 23H2, maybe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-29T11:45:23+00:00

    Actually that sounds reasonable. It's not because your PC is too old/new. It's because it's has hardware which could have issues. For example specific WiFi hardware, multiple spinning harddrives, USB-devices, motherboard, CPU, etc. But also specific software, like anti-cheat. Normally this can cause instability, but this is the first time it affect also updates.

    For example, when my update is stuck @ 38%, I always hear the HDD spinning up. Maybe that's the main cause, not sure.

    Microsoft would (I think) release a fix for this issue and mark the 24H2 ready for the rest. In the mean time, ignore preview updates (disable be first with updates) and cumulative updates we can install through "fix windows updates" (pause updates before using this, else it will install the update first and fail) or through repair installation with keeping stuff from an ISO made with MCT.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments